ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left45%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left12%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left3%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left9%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left3%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left6%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left12%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_left9%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days

Go down 
+6
Touchdown Bowe
Chiefs09
FatThucker
chiefbravebull
RustShack
BigRatt
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Latest Updates On The Chiefs 2012 NFL Draft Interests

by Chris Thorman on Mar 19, 2012 6:18 PM CDT in NFL Draft 2012

Amidst the rather busy 2012 NFL free agency talk, we have for you the second update to the Kansas City Chiefs draft interests chart of the year.

We've added two players since our last update two weeks ago - Cal DT Vaughn Meatoga and Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitler. The Chiefs checked out both players at their respective college's Pro Days. Chiefs defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant had dinner with Meatoga in California earlier this month and a rep for the Chiefs helped run Zeitler's workout in Wisconsin. The Chiefs are also reportedly working out Western Michigan WR Jordan White recently as well.

Here's the list of Pro Days the Chiefs have reportedly been in attendance at: Wisconsin, Cal, Colorado, Colorado St. Cincinnati, Louisville, Rhode Island, Illinois and Hawaii.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:24 am

The Chiefs fans bashing this draft are just pissed because we didnt draft any immediate play making game changers..but where would we add another true playmaker? Our only holes are QB, NT, and depth. We added depth greatly in this draft and we cant bitch about it.

Poe was the first pick and we have to deal with it. Like Cassel, im going to give Poe a year or two to prove himself. If Poe turns out to be an elite Haloti Gnata type player like Mike Mayock thinks, we have ourselves a top 5 defense. Dorsey and Jackson have never worked with an elite NT to command double teams on a regular basis and let the linebackers flow. If he fails, oh well. Not every 1st round pick is a hit. Guys go into the league after shitty college coaching and turn out to be special all the time. We took Poe based on potential. A huge gamble thats going to have a huge reward if he pans out.

I can live with Allen and Stephenson. 2 solid picks for the OL. Wylie is going to add greatly to our return game..almost like that returner for the Titans. Marinari or whatever. The safety from bama was a great pick simply because he went to bama. Bama players are some of the most NFL ready guys. The end from SD state will be good depth. I really like Hemingway from Michigan though. Guy put up decent stats for an offense that runs primarily around the running attack of Denard Robinson. I really think this guy will come along and make some plays down the road for us.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Fat lazy 4-3 DT's become great 3-4 NT's all the time if they get big enough. Poe is big enough, and he's an athletic freak. He was also greatly misused at Memphis. He had a new DC every year and they were always moving him around, he was never able to learn one position or scheme like he will here with some of the best coaching.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Mayock's Top 100 Rankings vs. Chiefs Picks
Dontari Poe, NT: Mayock (#13) Chiefs (#11)
Jeff Allen, G/T: Mayock (#32) Chiefs (#44)
Donald Stephenson, OT: Mayock (#96) Chiefs (#74)
Devon Wylie, WR: Mayock (NR) Chiefs (#107)
DeQuan Menzie, FS: Mayock (#80) Chiefs (#146)
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:41 pm

OutlawChief wrote:

I'm surprised to see he has Allen that high
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Poe doesn't seem to be as big of a reach as people think. Actually would be a steal if Crennel taps his talent. Chiefs had a real good draft, and the best part is we drafted for the future because we don't have many holes anymore.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:57 pm

BigRatt wrote:
OutlawChief wrote:

Yeah I was also, seem like the only player we reached for was Stephenson.
And I agree with Sylvester. Poe doesn't seem to be that big of a reach. I wasn't excited about the pick. But it is growing on me. If he is coached up and does his job. We could be a top 10 D easily.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:33 pm

OutlawChief wrote:
BigRatt wrote:
OutlawChief wrote:

Yeah I was also, seem like the only player we reached for was Stephenson.
And I agree with Sylvester. Poe doesn't seem to be that big of a reach. I wasn't excited about the pick. But it is growing on me. If he is coached up and does his job. We could be a top 10 D easily.

I agree with you! I think part of it for me is the shock and awe that I didn't pick a single player the Chiefs selected before the draft. That is a 1st for me. Lets hope that some of these guys prove they belong here.
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:09 am

SylvesterMalone1978 wrote:
Poe doesn't seem to be as big of a reach as people think. Actually would be a steal if Crennel taps his talent. Chiefs had a real good draft, and the best part is we drafted for the future because we don't have many holes anymore.

So based on that we are SB ready? not even close
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:10 am

and any player 2nd team all conf USA is a reach at 11 no matter how you want to spin it
Back to top Go down
KCJay
Pro
Pro
KCJay

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:54 am

...and there is Negative Nancy with all his bright outlook...lol
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:35 am

The Chiefs had two holes going into the draft. QB and NT. There wasn't a QB worth taking so we filled the next biggest need. Poe at least has the talent to be the best at his position, since RG3 was gone same can't be said for QB. Chiefs are a hell of a lot closer to a SB than you think. Or at least playoffs and anything can happen once you vet there, especially with a great running game and defense like what Pioli is building here.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:41 am

And who's to say our QB isn't ready on the roster? The upside is there with Quinn and maybe even Stanzi. Hell if Cassels supporting cast was this good two years ago we could have won at least a playoff game with him. Maybe Daboll can get a little more production out of him like he was able to with Matt freaking Moore if Quinn doesn't beat him out which I'm personally pulling for. All teams have a weakness, and I'd say we are in real good shape is Ryan Lilja is one of our biggest. Even then Jeff Allen could still beat him out! Not sexy drafting, but solid.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:43 am

Where the hell you been Rust? Kind of strange not seeing you around during draft time! What do you think of the picks this year and do you know much about some of the later picks?
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:50 am

RustShack wrote:
And who's to say our QB isn't ready on the roster? The upside is there with Quinn and maybe even Stanzi. Hell if Cassels supporting cast was this good two years ago we could have won at least a playoff game with him. Maybe Daboll can get a little more production out of him like he was able to with Matt freaking Moore if Quinn doesn't beat him out which I'm personally pulling for. All teams have a weakness, and I'd say we are in real good shape is Ryan Lilja is one of our biggest. Even then Jeff Allen could still beat him out! Not sexy drafting, but solid.

I agree! The only thing I don't like about Allen is that I read his run blocking is subpar. They said his pass pro is top notch and he's supposedly a little soft. I thought he was a major reach with who was left on the board but Kiper had him rated as the 32 best prospect.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 4:09 am

Chiefs 2012 Draft Wrap

Posted Apr 28, 2012

Josh Looney Chiefs Insider KCChiefs.com Email @JoshLooney Story Archive

For the first time of the Scott Pioli era, the Chiefs made no draft day trades. Kansas City came into the 2012 NFL Draft with eight picks and exited with eight new players.

While the Chiefs entered this year’s draft with position flexibility, most of the selections addressed competitive needs. Overall, the Chiefs selected five offensive players and made three defensive additions.

Half of this year’s draft class is made up of offensive and defensive linemen.

“This was a challenging preparation overall with Phil Emery leaving us,” Pioli said, referring to the team’s former Director of College Scouting that was recently named Chicago’s general manager. “I can’t tell you how proud I am of the guys in the scouting department and the coaches.

“This is as interesting and as energizing collaboration between a large group of people that I’ve been involved with in a long time.”

The 2012 Kansas City Chiefs Draft Class…

1st round, 11th overall

NT Dontari Poe, Memphis

A long-term solution at nose tackle has remained a team-need for Kansas City since implementing its 34 defense prior to the 2009 season. By selecting Poe 11th overall, the Chiefs believe they’ve found the best pure nose tackle in this year’s draft and a long-term answer at the position.

Poe’s primary competition for a starting job appears to be 2011 sixth round pick Jerrell Powe. Poe and Powe (pronounced the same) could certainly read 1-2 on Kansas City’s depth chart next season.

Amon Gordon will also factor into the equation, though the Chiefs primarily use the versatile veteran in sub-package sets as a defensive tackle and defensive end. Anothy Toribio, who spent all of last season on the team’s practice squad, will also compete for time.

Mike Mayock’s Analysis:

"Think Haloti Ngata. That's the kind of skill set and the kind of size he brings to the table. He's got average college tape, but he's got freakish athletic ability for a big man. Romeo Crennel has a good one here to coach up. ... Most rookie defensive tackles get taken off the field on third downs. This kid's best down is third down."

Notes…

1. Poe was the first of eight defensive linemen taken in the first round of the 2012 draft.

2. Poe is the fourth player the Chiefs have drafted from Memphis, joining S Jerome Woods (1st round, 1996), QB Steve Matthews (7th round, 1994) and DB Eric Harris (4th round, 1977).

3. The Chiefs have now picked 12 defensive linemen in the first round, tying with offensive linemen for the most from a single position group in club annals.

2nd round, 44th overall

OL Jeff Allen, Illinois

The versatile offensive lineman made 47 consecutive starts at tackle (9 at right tackle and 38 at left tackle) for the Illini, but could find himself immediately in the mix for playing time at guard.

With the ability to play both inside and outside, Allen could be the Chiefs top reserve at multiple positions if he doesn’t crack the starting lineup as a rookie.

His body type is on the smaller side for NFL offensive tackles, but perfect for guard. Allen’s never played guard before, so expect the rookie to learn the ins and outs of the position this spring and summer.

Former Illinois teammate Jon Asamoah is currently the Chiefs starting right guard. Veteran Ryan Lilja starts on the left. side Allen isn’t likely to challenge Branden Albert or Eric Winston for a starting job at tackle, but could find himself in the mix to be Kansas City’s swing tackle in 2012.

Mike Mayock’s Analysis:

"He's a natural pass protector, who I think is a Day 1 starter. For Kansas City, I think he's a left guard, which is fine because he's got the skill set to do so."

Notes…

1. Allen was the ninth offensive lineman taken in the 2012 draft and the fifth of the second round.

2. Allen is the sixth player the Chiefs have drafted out of Illinois in team history, joining G Jon Asamoah (3rd round, 2010), C Adam Linger (9th round, 1983), DE Mark Peterson (16th round, 1975), CB Willie Osley (10th round, 1973) and G Dave Powless (15th round, 1965).

3. The selection of Allen was announced by former Chiefs All-Pro G Will Shields, who was one of 33 legendary NFL alumni, including six Hall of Famers, selected to announce picks for their respective franchises.

3rd round, 74th overall

OL Donald Stephenson, Oklahoma

The Chiefs like Stephenson’s potential to develop into a starting left tackle, but believe he’s further away from making an immediate contribution. He started for two seasons as Oklahoma’s left tackle, but will be asked to learn both the left and right tackle positions in Kansas City.

Stephenson joins a position group that included just one reserve (David Mims) prior to draft weekend.

Mike Mayock’s Analysis:

"Boy is he a talented developmental left tackle. If you keep this kid working hard, get him in a good locker room with a good offensive line coach, which I think Kansas City has, this kid can pan out nicely."

Notes…

1. Grew up a lifelong Chiefs fan and finished his prep career at Blue Springs High School. Was one of 17 local prospects to take part in Kansas City’s local pro day earlier this month.

2. Stephenson joins Ryan Lilja as the only Chiefs players originally from the Kansas City area. Lilja is from Shawnee, Kansas and prepped at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School.

3. Stephenson became the 11th player drafted out of Oklahoma in franchise history. Oklahoma ties with Iowa and USC for the fourth-most players selected from a team school in team annals. The last player Kansas City drafted from Oklahoma was DE Jimmy Wilkerson (6th round, 2003).

4th round, 107th overall

WR Devon Wiley, Fresno State

Fills a team need at slot receiver, a position that had its depth exposed last season when Jonathan Baldwin missed the first two months because of a preseason thumb injury. Wiley will compete for a reserve spot behind Baldwin, Dwayne Bowe and Steve Breaston.

In addition to adding speed to the receiving core, Wylie will also factor into Kansas City’s return game.

Bucky Brooks’ Analysis:

“Wylie is a Wes Welker clone with better speed and burst. He is also an explosive returner, possessing outstanding skills with the ball in his hands.”

Notes…

1. Wylie becomes the fifth player in team history to be drafted out of Fresno State and the first since CB James Burton (5th round) and RB Anthony Daigle (6th round) were selected in the 1994 draft. Other franchise draft picks from Fresno State include E Jan Barrett (9th round, 1963) and T/G Doug Pat Brown (1960 future choice).

2. Wylie was the only player from Fresno State selected in the 2012 draft.

3. Wylie becomes the first Chiefs player drafted out of the Western Athletic Conference since WR Kevin Robinson (6th round) from Utah State was taken in 2008.

5th round, 146th overall

DB DeQuan Menzie, Alabama

Replaced former Chiefs draft pick Javier Arenas as Alabama’s “Star” defensive back in sub-package sets. Also started as an outside cornerback opposite2012 first-round draft pick Dre Kirkpatrick.

Menzie joins a crowded secondary battling for sub-package roles in five and six defensive back personnel. Arenas, Travis Daniels and Jalil Brown all return from last year’s cast of reserve cornerbacks vying for nickel and dime roles, though Menzie could find a home at safety which is much less crowded behind projected starters Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis.

Bucky Brooks’ Analysis:

“Menzie is an instinctive playmaker with the quickness and burst to make plays on the ball. Although the Chiefs' starting lineup is set, there could be a role for Menzie within their sub packages.”

Notes…

1. Menzie is the eighth player the Chiefs have drafted out of Alabama and the second in the last three years as the club took CB Javier Arenas (2nd round) in 2010. Menzie replaced Arenas on the Crimson Tide defense after beginning his college career at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss.

2. Menzie was the seventh player from Alabama taken in the 2012 draft, including the fifth on defense for the defending national champions.

6th round, 182nd overall

RB Cyrus Gray, Texas A&M

Productive all-purpose back gives the Chiefs a different set of skills than Jamaal Charles, Peyton Hillis and Dexter McCluster. Posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons at Texas A&M, but also caught 30-plus passes as a junior and senior.

Will have time to develop with established players ahead of him, but will still get an opportunity to contribute in 2012. Kansas City had three players log more than 100 rushing attempts last season.

Gray can also play special teams, which will critical for a fourth running back looking to make the team. The Chiefs were attracted to Gray’s leadership attributes, toughness and productivity.

Bucky Brooks’ Analysis:

“Gray is an underrated runner with outstanding vision and cutback skills. He catches the ball well out of the backfield and could contribute to the Chiefs' offensive attack as a change-of-pace weapon.”

Notes…

1. Gray is the seventh Chiefs draft pick out of Texas A&M and first since RB Dante Hall (5th round) in 2000.

2. Gray is the second running back Kansas City has drafted from Texas A&M as Kansas City also picked Greg Hill in the first round of the 1994 draft.

7th round, 218th overall

DL Jerome Long, San Diego State

Developmental defensive lineman was a tackle for the Aztecs, but will fit as a defensive end in Kansas City’s 34 defense. Caught the eye of GM Scott Pioli during a scouting visit and also gained notice from Chiefs defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant at the San Diego State Pro Day.

The opportunity is present to make the Chiefs roster behind starters Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey.

Bucky Brooks’ Analysis:

“Long is a hardworking defensive tackle with size and strength. He will fight for a roster spot as a backup.”

Notes…

1. Long becomes the fourth Chiefs player drafted from San Diego State and first since WR Jeff Webb (6th round) in 2006.

2. Long was the fourth San Diego State player to be taken in the 2012 draft.

7th round, 238th overall

WR Junior Hemingway, Michigan

Big-bodied possession receiver should crank up the competition for roster spots behind Dwayne Bowe, Steve Breaston and Jonathan Baldwin. The Chiefs like his hands and believe his production in college was limited due to Michigan’s style of offense.

Hemingway will need to find a special teams role to beat out reserve receivers like Terrance Copper and Jeremy Horne, who are both active on coverage units.

Bucky Brooks’ Analysis:

“Hemingway is a big, talented pass catcher with potential. He could create problems for defenders with his size and strength.”

Notes…

1. Hemingway is the ninth Michigan player the Chiefs have selected and first since T Trezelle Jenkins was picked in the first round of the 1995 draft.

2. Hemingway becomes the second Chiefs wide receiver that played for Michigan, joining Steve Breaston.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:13 am

BigRatt wrote:
Where the hell you been Rust? Kind of strange not seeing you around during draft time! What do you think of the picks this year and do you know much about some of the later picks?

My computer broke like a month ago. I went to Chicago a few weeks ago and dropped a few hundred there on top of doing other stuff lately. Plus a lot going on in my life currently lol.

Poe is a NT plain and simple, something he wasn't in college. So even if he had a great college career he would be used different here. Bottom line is he was used wrong in college and was in bad coaching/scheme situations.

A lot of people seem to think Allen is better than Lilja, and I think his job will be easier for him at guard than it was at tackle.

The Next OT is a project like Mims with huge upside.

WR is interesting. I like that they say he's a more talented Welker, hope he can be as dedicated. WR is starting to get a little crowded which is a good problem to have.

CB switching to safety doesnt seem that common to me, unless maybe it's a good CB that got old and slow. Menzie is interesting, but ateast better than last years backups. Actually Donald Washington is another talented CB we switched to safety.

I don't see the RB getting many if any carries without at least one injury which could easily happen. Hes pretty well rounded.

Another body on the DL. Has the size and skill just might need more time.

Then our other WR might be a steal. Would have been drafted higher if he went to a school with a good QB and passing offense. Hope he isn't Bowes replacement.
Back to top Go down
kcchiefs
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
kcchiefs

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Personally, I think we had a GREAT draft. In our first 2 rounds we got 2 possible day one starters on the O and D line. But day three is where our scouting department really shined! First we got Wylie who I personnaly think will be our slot reciever by the end of the season. Then the RB out of A&M was another steal. He is a very talented guy! Im exceted to see him play. But the steal of the draft was Junior Hemmingway. This guy has really strong hands and a lot of upside!
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Chiefs 7th Round Draft Pick Called A Steal

Headshot_tiny by Joel Thorman on May 1, 2012 10:44 AM CDT in NFL Draft 2012

The Kansas City Chiefs spent a 7th round pick, their final pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, on Michigan WR Junior Hemingway. In my post-draft grading of the picks, I said not to expect much from Hemingway because history says a 7th round pick won't amount to much.

ESPN's Mel Kiper would disagree with that. He said in a Monday conference call that Hemingway in the 7th round was one of the steals of the draft.

"You're talking about a guy that could've been a fourth-round pick, and I don't think anybody could have had a real big argument with that," Kiper said of Hemingway on Monday during a conference call. "That to me was one of the better picks in the late rounds. I think he'll have a great opportunity to help that football team."

NFL Draft Scout had Hemingway rated as a 5th-6th round pick.

Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Hopefully hes good on special teams so we can boot Copper the hell out the door!
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:35 pm

"Breaking down the Chiefs personnel with @gregcosell after the draft, it sure seems they have a really strong roster from both sides. Not many weaknesses. Best roster Pioli has put together during his tenure."

Twitter / Adam Caplan
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Fan Post Analysis of Jeff Allen   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Our new guard (hopefully) Jeff Allen, breaking down some footage

by NigerianNightmare on Apr 30, 2012 6:42 PM CDT

This pick, at first, was very disappointing to me in the least. I was hoping for Cordy Glenn (went to Buffalo), Amini Silatolu (went to Carolina), or even Peter Konz (went to Atlanta). To me looking at his scouting report, I was rather disappointed as I wanted a mauler, a real brute that will hit someone hard. His scouting report was anything but. Said he was undersized, didn't play with power, pass-blocking specialist, tended to absorb hits as opposed to delivering them. Nothing that I like to hear. But doing some more research, I learned some things. He has reportedly grown as a player (both physically and mentally) very much. He has gained 10-15 pounds since the season ended and Illini fans will tell you Mikel LeShoure's 2010 season was largely in part to Allen's blocking. Reporters at the Senior Bowl report he was playing like a mad man and was incredibly psyched up, like he would strike someone in the face at the slightest provocation.

So, without further ado let's get to the analysis. My very first full, 4 quarter analysis. (BTW, if it means anything, Mercilus has quite the game. One 3rd and 14 on UCLA's opening drive, he has the best jumped snap I have ever seen! Houston does a good job in the draft, once again.)

Initial thoughts: Not built necessarily gigantic, at 6'4, 310-315 pounds. But he's squat and thick. Could probably stand to put on a few pounds, but still had a good bench press result with 26 reps, which is probably about average. Team leader, started on a VERY good offensive line as a freshman. Has never gotten in trouble with the law, only one on the field incident in which he was ejected for ramming his helmet into an opponent after a knockdown.

Thing that made this analysis HARD AS HELL to do is that Jeff literally plays at a different position every play. He'll be LT one play, LG the next, RG, RT. He's everywhere, which is a good thing. The only guy I've seen this from otherwise was Jason Peters when he was in Buffalo (Except he'd even line up at TE sometimes).

Had 113 knockdown blocks in 2011, and was All-Conference Honorable Mention.

Opponent: UCLA (Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl), DE Datone Jones and DT Seali'i Epenesa. Allen plays LT, RT, RG and LG this game.

Play 1: LT. Shows quick feet and delivers a powerful forearm punch that knocks the DE back onto his heels. The QB gets like 8 seconds in the pocket before he throws it to the back for a 3 yard gain.

Play 2: LT. Rears back and hits the DE and gets under his pads. The QB draw to the right doesn't work and he's dropped for a 2 yard loss.

Play 3: RT. Good showing. Forces his defender back inside to the guard and with the space Allen gives him the QB begins to scramble. Allen blindsides a DE who was coming across the field to try and make the tackle. 8 yard gain. Punt.

Play 4: RG. Gets good leverage and grabs the DE inside. Uses the defenders movement against him and drives him backwards like 7 yards down field, back goes for 5 on his left hip.

Play 5: RG. Hits the DE to help the RT direct him outside then goes to the second level and delivers a hit to a linebacker. He continues to deliver blows a bit after the whistle and the LB gets frustrated and the two exchange words.

Play 6: LT. Shows good hand placement as despite a very quick swim move by the DE he delivers a punch to the defenders exposed midsection and is able to envelop the DE as the QB throws for a first down.

Play 7: RT. Well-designed play by the Illini coaching staff. Allen chips the DE inside on what seems like a screen to the WR, but Allen and the RG go out to the flats and the WR tosses it back to the QB. Allen sprints downfield and engages a safety, but a good read by the LB prevents a touchdown. 9 yard gain.

Play 8: RT. Clamps onto a good jump by the DE and is able to keep him away from the QB. QB passes to the WR who drops an easy pass, and the pass is then intercepted.

Play 9: RG. Pushes the DT back into the center then goes and buries a linebacker. Unfortunately the center can't handle the DT and the DT makes the tackle at the LOS on an RB run.

Play 10: RG: The DT gets a good jump on the ball and options for a no-nonsense bullrush. Allen's wide, thick base and natural girth is able to absorb the blow, but he slowly has to back up into the QB because he loses the leverage battle. The QB tries to toss it to the WR on a fly but overthrows him.

Play 11: RT. DE shoots straight up the field but Allen gives him a nice shove and throws him off of his route. QB sees a big hole between RG and RT and takes off for the first down.

Play 12: LT. Screen, so he only holds his block for a moment. The DE goes up to swat the pass down but Allen delivers a punch to an exposed midsection and the defender puts his hands down before he can swat the ball down. LB's fly to the ball however and the tackle is made behind the LOS.

Play 13: LT. DE attempts a bullrush but Allen stonewalls him. DE attempts a swim move but Allen stops him. No pressure from the left side at all but the pass to the TE is incomplete. Punt.

Play 14: RT: Takes advantage of an off balance DE and shoves him onto his back. Strikes him down as he's trying to get back up. Nice showing of a mean streak.

Play 15: LT. Holds up the DE who wasn't really rushing the passer. QB passes for a first down.

Play 16: RG. Delivers a hit to the DT and is forced to block both the DE and DT as a safety blitzes and the RT wants to block him. Does a nice job and handles both for about 3 seconds when the QB throws incomplete.

Play 17: RT. Walls the DE away from the play and the back picks up 5 yards off of a LT off-tackle run.

Play 18: LG. Defends against a bullrush with a strong lean and push. Maneuvers the DT outside and teh QB runs for the first down between LG and C.

Play 19: RT. Shuffles his feet quickly as the DE shoots upfield, but when he tries to cut back inside he keeps with it. QB throws incomplete.

Play 20: LG. Pulls around and floors a linebacker with a forearm shot. 4 yard gain. Gotta say, I love how he asserts his size over the smaller guys.

Play 21: RG. Stunt by the DE and DT. DE tries to shoot the gap but Allen tosses him out of the hole. QB throws for the first.

Play 22: RG. Gets under the pads of a blitzing linebacker and tosses him away from the ball. QB runs 5 yards off LT.

Play 23: RT. DE draws the play out, but Allen uses a quick move and pushes him away from the ball. QB has a hole and runs for 2 yards.

Play 24: RT. DE bullrushes and catches Allen off guard. RG helps Allen as the QB throws to a receiver for a first down. However, the referee calls it an incomplete pass which it most certainly is not. Challenge, win. 4th and 1.

Play 25: RT. Big collision between him and the DT, that ultimately ends in a stalemate. LG cannot hold his block and RB is tackled at the LOS. Turnover on downs.

Play 26: LG. Forces the DT inside and the QB goes for 15 yards off of LT.

Play 27: LT. Absorbs the hit by the DE but fails to engage him well. DE makes the tackle for a 1 yard loss.

Play 28: LT. Gets under the DE's pads with one arm and flips him over onto the ground. QB makes a dangerous throw over the middle that's swatted down.

Play 29: RG. UCLA brings a heavy blitz and Allen is able to stuff the DT and deliver a hit to a linebacker, but the QB has to throw the ball to a receiver quickly. Incomplete, Punt.

Play 30: LG. Wins the leverage battle against the DT and pushes him back, but the RB bumps into his baack and bounces off. 2 yard gain.

Play 31: RG. Gets great explosion off the line and stands up the DT. Shoves him downfield 5 yards and the back goes 7 yards off the center's left hip.

Play 32: RT. DE tries a quick spins move but Allen isn't fooled and stands up up. QB rolls out, but is forced to toss it away, Field Goal.

Play 33: RT. QB Draw, and Allen redirects the DE's momentum off to the side. 4 yard gain off Allen's left hip.

Play 34: LG. Comes off the ball tenaciously and BURIES a linebacker, then continues downfield to engage a DB. RB goes 12 yard right on Allen's butt.

Play 35: LT. Engulfs the DE and shields the QB with his girth. 3 yards QB draw off the RG's hip.

Play 34: LG. Delivers a HUGE punch to the DT and knocks him backwards, QB throws for the first down. Inside the 5 yard line.

Play 35: LT. Takes two defenders inside and opens a massive hole. QB goes 3 yards on a draw.

Play 36: RT. Gets bullrushed backwards, but it opens a hole as his frame blocks the DE's vision. RB goes for 1 yard.

Play 37: RT. Holds up his guy, but the safety blitzes and the back can't block him. Sacked for a 17 yard loss. Field Goal.

Play 38: RG. Gets to the second level and pancakes a linebacker. RB goes for 8 yards behind Allen. Holding on an RT and facemask, offset.

Play 39: LT. Allen is playing angry after the penalty and delivers a big hit to the DE and tossing him to the sideline. WR drops the pass.

Play 40: RT. Engages the DE but the DE cuts back and goes inside, QB scrambles for 1 yard.

Play 41: RT. Blitzing linebacker is stonewalled by Allen. QB throws first down.

Play 42: LT. Holds up the DE, RB goes for 2 yards.

Play 43: LT. Pulls and hits the second level. DT gets passed the RG and makes the tackle behind the line.

Play 44: Loses the leverage battle but his base and girth defend against the bullrush. QB overthrows the WR.

Play 45: LG. Goes out for the WR screen but QB opts for another pass for 9 yards.

Play 46: RT. Blasts the DE and tears open a hole for the QB draw first down.

Play 47: LT. Defends against the speed rush well. Five yard pass.

Play 48: LT. Goes to the second level and engages a DB. QB scrambles 4 yards.

Play 49: LT. Doesn't get the jump right and isn't able to divert the DE who is slanting in. QB goes up the gut for a first down, still.

Play 50: RT. Somehow turns the DE around and throws him to the ground. QB goes off his hip for 10 yards.

Play 51: RT. Holds the DE down and doesn't allow pressure.

Play 52: LT. Handles the blitzing LB and the QB misses the pass.

Play 53: RT. DE stunts upfield, but a delayed blitz by the safety gets passed him. Luckily the QB evades him, btu can only scramble for 3 yards. They're going for it on 4th and 7!

Play 54: LT. DE isn't rushing, so Allen helps the center. Complete pass for a first down.

Play 55: LG. Drives the DT back, RB goes for 3 yards on his butt.

Play 56: LG. Stops the DT in his tracks, QB scrambles for 15 yards.

Play 57: LT. Doesn't get any push against the DT. Tackle at the LOS by an LB.

Play 58: Illegal substitution, 5 yards.

Play 59: RT. Sticks the DE and doesn't allow pressure. TERRIBLE throw, incomplete.

Play 60: RT. Handles the DE well, but the QB rolls out without Allen knowing. QB tosses it away. Field goal attempt, failure.

Play 61: Illinois got an INT return.

Play 62: LT. Mauls the DE and shoves him back 10 yards. 4 yard gain by the RB off the Center's left hip.

Play 63: LT. Takes the DE outside and creates a huge running lane for the QB to run for a 27 yard gain.

Play 64: RT. Pops the LB on the second level on a WR screen. Blitzing safety tackle him behind the line.

Play 65: LT. Stands up and manhandles the DE and makes a hole, but the fullback misses his block for a 3 yard gain.

Play 66: LT. WTF... Uh, I think Allen just had like 7 passing yards. He doesn't hold his block on the DE and the DE almost starts to tackle the QB, but Allen comes in and hit the DE and accidentally hits the QB and makes him fumble the ball in the air forward, which is caught by a receiver for 7 yards. Field goal.

Play 67: RG. Directs the DT outside, away from the ball. 5 yard gain off LT.

Play 68: LT. Delivers multiple quick punches and makes the DE stumble, creating a rushing lane for a first down.

Plat 69: LT: Asserts his dominance over the DE and pushes him backwards and to the right about 5 yards. 4 yard QB draw.

Play 70: LT: Gets leverage on the DE but can't get much push. RB gets stuffed at the LOS.

Play 71: LT. Makes a large and clean pocket with the rest of the O-line for about 7 seconds, then the QB passes to a receiver for about a 40 yard TD.

Play 72: Kneel.

END OF GAME!!!!

My thoughts: Allen demonstrated IMMENSE versatility. He lined up all over the place on every different play. He showed a good mean streak and loves to dominate little guys. He played physical and smart, but he sometimes failed to hold his blocks and finish them. He showed great pass-blocking and run-blocking ability, and I think his best plays where actually at guard. I also liked how he played in space.

Bold statement, he should eventually start at LG/RG this year, hopefully early. He's got a solid size advantage and is more physical. A big guy like Allen could help a promising line that has evolved into one of the best in the league.

NFL Comparison: Donald Penn. Both are versatile guys who can play guard or tackle, and both are roughly the same size. Both look much bigger than their weights would indicate (wouldn't surprise me if we found out both were actually something like 330 pounds). Both play with a mean streak, but the difference is Allen's stops at the whistle.
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Touchdown Bowe wrote:
The Chiefs fans bashing this draft are just pissed because we didnt draft any immediate play making game changers..but where would we add another true playmaker? Our only holes are QB, NT, and depth. We added depth greatly in this draft and we cant bitch about it.

Poe was the first pick and we have to deal with it. Like Cassel, im going to give Poe a year or two to prove himself. If Poe turns out to be an elite Haloti Gnata type player like Mike Mayock thinks, we have ourselves a top 5 defense. Dorsey and Jackson have never worked with an elite NT to command double teams on a regular basis and let the linebackers flow. If he fails, oh well. Not every 1st round pick is a hit. Guys go into the league after shitty college coaching and turn out to be special all the time. We took Poe based on potential. A huge gamble thats going to have a huge reward if he pans out.

I can live with Allen and Stephenson. 2 solid picks for the OL. Wylie is going to add greatly to our return game..almost like that returner for the Titans. Marinari or whatever. The safety from bama was a great pick simply because he went to bama. Bama players are some of the most NFL ready guys. The end from SD state will be good depth. I really like Hemingway from Michigan though. Guy put up decent stats for an offense that runs primarily around the running attack of Denard Robinson. I really think this guy will come along and make some plays down the road for us.

That's the best way to describe this draft. If the talent is developed, the Chiefs' depth is suddenly stacked.
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Kansas City Chiefs Shopped Dwayne Bowe on Draft Day, Denied by Scott PioliBy Jeremy Sickel(Featured Columnist) on May 2, 2012 556 reads

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Dwayne Bowe has yet to sign his franchise tender, and apparently the Kansas City Chiefs shopped him around during day one of the NFL draft. Whether or not the two are related is not known at this time.

According to this tweet on April 27th from Nate Bukaty of The Border Patrol, a morning sports talk show on Sports Radio 810 WHB in Kansas City, NFL draft expert Russ Lande told the show that the Chiefs attempted a draft-day trade involving Bowe, but no one bit on their demands for a first-round pick:

Nate Bukaty ‏ @nate_bukaty

@RUSSLANDE just told us that the Chiefs tried to trade Dwayne Bowe yesterday, but nobody was willing to offer a first round pick for him.

The Border Patrol interviewed Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli this morning, and he had this to say about the rumor according to this Nate Bukaty tweet:

Nate Bukaty ‏ @nate_bukaty

Scott Pioli on reports that the Chiefs tried to trade Bowe on draft day: "100 percent unequivocally untrue."

The Chiefs have spent a considerable number of draft picks on wide receivers recently. Could it be in preparation of Bowe not being in Kansas City past this season or possibly even 2012 either?

Bowe is just as important to the Chiefs' offense as any player on the team, in terms of talent and in helping to groom the younger receivers on the team into solid NFL contributors.

However, if the Chiefs think Jon Baldwin can be just as productive and they can flip Bowe for a first-round pick eventually, isn’t it a no-brainer to save the money on a potential long-term deal?

This whole theory is asinine. If Bowe hadn't signed his Franchise Tag, the Chiefs couldn't have traded him. Even if Bowe would have signed it that day, it still takes the league office 24 hrs to approve the contract. There is no way Bowe can be traded before he is under contract with the Chiefs.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Yeah just BS. Bowe wasn't shopped around. Would have been impossible to trade him.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 2:00 am

If Wylie develops into a Wes Welker type player like people seem to think, losing Bowe wont hurt us nearly as much. I feel that Baldwin can easily be a #1 WR and Breaston is a great 2/3 WR. Im still hoping we can resign Bowe to a reasonable deal, but if we cant bring him back I dont think it will hurt nearly as bad. Not to mention Hemingway out of Michigan..I really like that guy. He's also got a Bowe sized body.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days
Page 12 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next