ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left45%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left12%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left3%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left9%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left3%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left6%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left12%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_left9%2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days

Go down 
+6
Touchdown Bowe
Chiefs09
FatThucker
chiefbravebull
RustShack
BigRatt
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Latest Updates On The Chiefs 2012 NFL Draft Interests

by Chris Thorman on Mar 19, 2012 6:18 PM CDT in NFL Draft 2012

Amidst the rather busy 2012 NFL free agency talk, we have for you the second update to the Kansas City Chiefs draft interests chart of the year.

We've added two players since our last update two weeks ago - Cal DT Vaughn Meatoga and Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitler. The Chiefs checked out both players at their respective college's Pro Days. Chiefs defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant had dinner with Meatoga in California earlier this month and a rep for the Chiefs helped run Zeitler's workout in Wisconsin. The Chiefs are also reportedly working out Western Michigan WR Jordan White recently as well.

Here's the list of Pro Days the Chiefs have reportedly been in attendance at: Wisconsin, Cal, Colorado, Colorado St. Cincinnati, Louisville, Rhode Island, Illinois and Hawaii.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 2:03 pm

KC Chiefs Check Out Vanderbilt Football Pro Day

As is usually the case, Adam Caplan has kept us up to date on another college pro day that the Kansas City Chiefs attended. Today, we learned that the Chiefs were in attendance at the Vanderbilt pro day in Nashville, TN.

I'm not going to claim any knowledge about Vandy football players. Checking out Fantasy Football Toolbox, these players are ranked highly:

CB Casey Hayward
LB Chris Marve
SS Sean Richardson

Mocking The Draft has a bit more on Hayward and Richardson from the 2012 Liberty Bowl:

Vanderbilt senior cornerback Casey Hayward put together another good season, earning second-team all-conference marks. He was third in the SEC with five interceptions, giving him 14 total passes defended. Hayward has better hands than most cornerbacks and doesn't give up position. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but gets a lot out of his ability. He should be a solid No. 2 or a nickel back in the NFL.

Vanderbilt strong safety Sean Richardson strongly considered entering this year's drat and wisely chose to stay in school. He's a solid all-around safety with good size.

Anyone else have any insight into Vandy's players?
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Nice. I wonder who we were looking at at Iowa States Pro Day. Obviously KO and LJ are the top two prospects. But WR Reynolds and DE(here OLB) Lattimer impressed a lot of people I guess.. both were unlikely to be drafted but may have slid into the late rounds.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 pm

RustShack wrote:
Nice. I wonder who we were looking at at Iowa States Pro Day. Obviously KO and LJ are the top two prospects. But WR Reynolds and DE(here OLB) Lattimer impressed a lot of people I guess.. both were unlikely to be drafted but may have slid into the late rounds.

Cool! I bet they were looking at everyone from Reiff down. If nothing else it was a social call for Pioli's old buddy.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 pm

2012 NFL Mock Draft: Melvin Ingram Enters Conversation For Kansas City Chiefs

by Matt Conner

Melvin Ingram is mostly perceived as a top ten talent in the upcoming 2012 NFL Draft. As a dominant pass rusher for South Carolina, Ingram is expected to be taken between 5 and 10 overall in most mock drafts. That’s what makes it interesting for the Kansas City Chiefs to land him in Jonathan Bales’ latest mock for the New York Times

The Chiefs take Ingram at No. 11 in Bales’ latest entry. He writes, “After thinking about team needs and Ingram’s skills, I think this is the lowest he could possibly fall.” The Chiefs would not have him available at that spot if they did not win the coin flip with the Seattle Seahawks during the NFL Combine. The Seahawks ended up at No. 12 in the first round.

Ingram is likely to be an OLB in the 3-4 defense of the Chiefs, which means Ingram and Justin Houston will split time or be used in various ways depending on the sub package. It gives Romeo Crennel another high octane pass rusher to use with Tamba Hali and Houston, who came on strong with 5.5 sacks in the final 5 games of the regular season.

Wes Bunting of the National Football Post loves Ingram as the best outside linebacker in the draft. He writes, “He is an impressive pass rusher who can get after the QB in a number of ways. Ingram is raw with his technique and can get better, but his suddenness, length and natural feel for the game makes me think he’s one of the draft’s best senior pass rushers.”

Matthew Fairburn over at Mocking the Draft calls him one of the top pass rushers available in the first round and has him second off the board after Quinton Coples of North Carolina. He writes, “Melvin Ingram does not possess the physical ability of Quinton Coples, but he is a versatile and hard working pass rusher.”

Ingram had 15 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and 2 interceptions last year for the Gamecocks.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I would be surprised if they look at a OLB that high unless hes the next Von Miller. Sooner or later you have to pay them both starters money.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 pm

BigRatt wrote:
RustShack wrote:

Cool! I bet they were looking at everyone from Reiff down. If nothing else it was a social call for Pioli's old buddy.

Thats Iowa, not Iowa State lol
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Chiefs, Pioli keep sharp eyes on group of Iowa Hawkeyes
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- At precisely 8:15 on a recent weekday morning, Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and four other men climbed out of a silver Chevy Suburban on the campus of the University of Iowa.

With Pioli are head coach Romeo Crennel and two position coaches: Jack Bicknell Jr., who coaches the offensive line, and Nick Sirianni, who coaches the wide receivers. They are here to attend Iowa’s pro day, during which the school’s draft prospects will audition for jobs in the NFL.

Center Casey Wiegmann, who is likely to retire after 16 NFL seasons, has tagged along because he once played for the Hawkeyes — and because he suddenly has some free time on his hands.

Free agency may be in full swing, but this trip is one of many important steps for the Chiefs as they evaluate talent before the NFL draft. The Hawkeyes have several pro prospects, and Pioli and the coaches have come from Kansas City to look. But they’re not alone. An Iowa official says every NFL team save Washington has at least one representative on hand.

But by comparison, the Chiefs have brought a large group — and Crennel is the only NFL head coach present. That’s an indication that the Chiefs, who selected a player from Iowa in each of the past two drafts, have more than passing interest in Iowa’s program.

The Hawkeyes have perhaps seven or eight players who could be drafted, but the fact that the Chiefs’ offensive line and wide receiver coaches made the trip indicates a special interest in Iowa linemen Riley Reiff, Adam Gettis and Markus Zusevics and wide receiver Marvin McNutt.

Reiff is one of the top tackles available and might have been the Chiefs’ first-round choice next month had they not recently signed free agent Eric Winston. The other three prospects will probably be available in the middle to late rounds.

This day, like pro days at other schools across the country, is part of the long process of preparing for the draft, but the process actually began long ago. In fact, the Chiefs also have Terry Delp, one of their scouts, on campus, but he traveled alone and his mission is mainly to start looking at Iowa’s juniors in preparation for next year’s draft.

The Chiefs can obtain the numbers from this pro day — 40-yard dash times, bench-press reps, etc. — and watch video of Iowa’s prospects without leaving Kansas City, but Pioli sees value in making the trip.

“Having people see things in person is so critical,” Pioli said. “You get to see how other people respond to them, how their teammates respond to them and how they respond to their teammates. You can tell whether they have leadership ability or they are selfish. These are things you can’t always get by watching video. You get a better sense of reality by being here and observing.”

The group wanders over to Iowa’s sprawling football facility. Among Chiefs officials, only Pioli has been there before, so Wiegmann leads the way.

“I don’t know where I’m going,” Crennel says. “I’m just following Casey.”

Wiegmann gets the party where it needs to be, and the first opposing scout the group comes across is Luke Palko, the brother of former Chiefs quarterback Tyler Palko. Luke Palko works for the Arizona Cardinals.

The coaches want to watch some video of Iowa’s players before the day’s activities begin. Wiegmann leads the way to the film room.

Pioli, meanwhile, catches up with some old friends. One is Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. The two met years ago when Ferentz coached at the University of Maine. He interviewed Pioli for an assistant coaching job but gave the position to someone else.

Some years later, when Pioli was working as a scout for the Cleveland Browns, his job one day was to drive to the airport and pick up Ferentz, who was coming in to interview for a job with the Browns. Ferentz jokes that he thought Pioli might drive him off a cliff that day as payment for not giving him the job in Maine, but Pioli got Ferentz safely to Browns headquarters, and Ferentz was eventually hired. The two went on to become friends.

Pioli then visits for about 20 minutes with Ferentz’s son, Brian, Iowa’s new offensive line coach. Brian Ferentz was trying to find a spot as an offensive lineman in the NFL several years ago when Pioli, then with the Patriots, called to offer him a job.

As a scout, not a player.

“He ended my playing career,” Brian Ferentz said. “I knew it was over when he offered me that job.”

Pioli eventually joins the coaches in the film room and, after watching for a few plays, has a comment about Iowa’s linemen.

“When they come out of here, they’re all so good technically,” he says. “You have to do less teaching than with 90 percent of the other kids.”

Later, Pioli would elaborate.

“So many other teams runs spread offenses, and you don’t see a lot of guys playing the same type of game that’s being played in the National Football League,” Pioli said. “That’s not the case here. The other thing is, with offensive linemen out of Iowa, Kirk is an offensive line coach. Think of all the great offensive linemen that have come through here. I’ve watched him develop players. He’s a great teacher of fundamentals and techniques. They will understand the things we’re trying to teach at the next level much quicker.”

It’s ironic, then, that the Chiefs have selected an Iowa player in each of the past two drafts and neither was an offensive lineman. Tight end Tony Moeaki was a third-round choice in 2010 and quarterback Ricky Stanzi was a fifth-round pick last year.

Those selections were the product of Pioli’s relationship with Ferentz and the other Iowa coaches.

“I know I certainly will feel better about players from this program because it’s like an NFL program,” Pioli said. “Kirk runs things here like an NFL program. The other thing is, the players that come out of here, I know there’s not going to be a lot of surprises with them. I’m going to know what they are and who they are.

“I know I’m getting honesty from Kirk and their other coaches. There are other places I go where it’s the same way.”

Pioli doesn’t go to every school’s pro day, but the Chiefs will have either a coach or scout at every one that features, in their opinion, at least one draftable player.

Pioli will attend between five and 10 pro days this season. Every year, he tries to carve out time to get to Iowa.

“They’ve got a lot of good players,” he said. “They play against good competition. Part of it is also that because of the relationships here, I can get a lot of work done not only on the Iowa kids but some of the other kids at other Big Ten schools. They know a lot about the players they have to play against, as well.”

The group watches video of Iowa’s games against Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State. The latter two games are especially valuable to the coaches because they can watch Gettis, one of the offensive linemen they like, go against two of the country’s best defensive tackles — Jerel Worthy of Michigan State and Devon Still of Penn State.

Pioli and the coaches run back most plays several times as they dissect a player’s abilities and liabilities. They discuss things only a coach or scout could be interested in, such as the size of a particular player’s hands.

The group then joins coaches and scouts from other NFL teams in Iowa’s massive weight room, where they watch the draft prospects bench 225 pounds as many times as they can. After that, they head to Iowa’s indoor practice bubble, where it feels like 90 degrees on a humid day, and watch the players perform various agility drills.

That’s where Pioli checks his phone for NFL news and learns that quarterback Peyton Manning will join one of the Chiefs’ division rivals, the Denver Broncos.

As always, Pioli perks up when the offensive linemen go through their drills. Pioli was a defensive lineman in college at Central Connecticut State but coached the offensive line for one season at Murray State and has an affinity for the position. During training camp, he spends much of his time at practice watching the linemen.

Finally, at 5 p.m., it’s time to head back to the Chevy Suburban and, eventually, Kansas City. These long days can be tedious for those without a passion for scouting, which Wiegmann clearly doesn’t have. At one point, he wonders how anyone can do this job day after day, school after school, as some Chiefs scouts do.

For those who do have the passion, days like this are a labor of love.

“This was a good day, a productive day,” Pioli says. “There’s free agency going on right now, so this is a time where you don’t want to be out of the office for long. But this trip was worth it.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/24/3511662/an-inside-look-at-a-chiefs-scouting.html#storylink=cpy
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:09 pm

RustShack wrote:
BigRatt wrote:
RustShack wrote:

Thats Iowa, not Iowa State lol

My bad!
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Sounds like they have alot of interest in Adam Gettis. He was the leader of their line but damn he's undersized. If they are looking at Reiff it's obviously not at RT.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Peter from NYC wants to know what I think the Chiefs think of quarterback Ricky Stanzi.

Bill Williamson: By signing Brady Quinn to be Matt Cassel’s backup, the Chiefs made it clear they don’t think Stanzi is ready to be the No. 2 quarterback; expect him to remain the No. 3 for the second consecutive season. That could change if the Chiefs pick a quarterback early in the draft. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Chiefs showed interest in Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden or Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins in the second round. If either of the players or drafted, Stanzi would be in trouble. But I do think he will get another year to develop.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm not a fan of 2nd round QB's. The odds of getting a winner go down a ton.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Here is a nice link to a Decastro evaluation.

http://www.pacifictakes.com/2012/3/24/2899012/2012-nfl-draft-david-decastro-bengals-cardinals-chiefs-seahawks-cowboys-stanford-vs-ucla
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 pm

The more I look into Kuechly the less of a fit I think he is. He is like a less talented DJ and not really the prototype of LB you want inside next to him.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:00 pm

I still think we need a badass type thumper nest to DJ. Jameel McClain I thought would have been perfect. Thye will og the cheap route though and leave Belcher another year to prove himself.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm still thinking Siller can beat out Belcher.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:44 pm

I wish hewouldnt have torn his knee up last year so we knew exactly what we have with him.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 pm

RustShack wrote:
The more I look into Kuechly the less of a fit I think he is. He is like a less talented DJ and not really the prototype of LB you want inside next to him.

My initial thought was he was to small. But then I looked and he's about 5 pounds shy of what DJ weighs. Anything is possible after what I have seen DJ do in this system. Kuechly is a damn machine. It's just insane how much that dude is around the ball.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:49 pm

RustShack wrote:
I'm still thinking Siller can beat out Belcher.

I would love for him to. I'm not opposed to going back with Belcher. I think you are pretty much always going to be able to find guys like Hightower in the draft. You don't see Decastro's every year though.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:17 am

There might be two "ILB"s in our defense, but he'd play the same slot as DJ IMO. We need a built run stuffer at the other one!
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Chiefs Off To A Good Start For 2013 Compensatory Picks

Joel Thorman

The NFL has awarded compensatory picks for the 2012 NFL draft and the Kansas City Chiefs got nothing out of it. They weren't awarded any compensatory picks which means there are no extra draft picks this year.

But the 2013 NFL draft should be very nice to the Chiefs when it comes to compensatory picks. A lot of folks don't realize this but the Chiefs do keep track of compensatory picks and I'm sure that's a factor in at least some signings.

What they've done in free agency this year has set themselves up nicely for comp picks next year. The big additions, like Stanford Routt, Kevin Boss and Eric Winston, are not qualifying free agents. They were all cut by their former team meaning they weren't "true" unrestricted free agents. This means they will not count against the Chiefs when it comes to compensatory picks next year. That's a good thing.

They allowed a few guys to hit free agency and those players secured nice contracts elsewhere, including Brandon Carr, Kyle Orton and Le'Ron McClain. Carr, in particular, has the potential to bring in a very high compensatory pick. If a guy like Routt or Winston were qualifying free agents, they could cancel out a potentially big comp pick from Carr, so this is a nice strategy by the Chiefs (whether this was part of an actual strategy or not).

So be watching out on these free agent signings on how these players hit the market, whether they were cut or true free agents. It matters.

The exact formula for determining compensatory picks isn't known but I think the Chiefs are looking good for next year's compensatory picks.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm

This sucks! I thought we get a comp pick this year.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Unlike many other teams, the Kansas City Chiefs didn't have many weak spots on defense this offseason.

One of those weak spots was at inside linebacker.

Fourth-year man Jovan Belcher manned that position last year, and ended up having a decent, but unspectacular year at that spot on the field.

He finished the season with 87 tackles and a pass deflection in 16 starts.

Although he did make some nice plays against the run, the University of Maine product failed to be the play-making ILB that this defense needs to free up star linebacker Derrick Johnson.

In his three seasons with the team, Belcher has yet to become the thumper that this linebacking corps needs from week to week during the regular season.

Although the Chiefs recently re-signed Belcher to a one-year deal, it's still unclear whether he will be a starter on this defense next season.

There are still other options at his position that Kansas City could pursue this offseason.

One of those options is former Boston College star Luke Kuechly.

Kuechly is arguably the best ILB prospect in this year's draft class, and will likely get a long look by the Chiefs in the first round, considering that they will have the 11th overall pick in the draft.

Although, there could be many other intriguing options for this pick, including Stanford G David DeCastro or Memphis DT Dontari Poe.

Should the Chiefs take Luke Kuechly if he is there with the 11th overall pick?
Yes
No
Submit Vote vote to see results Should the Chiefs take Luke Kuechly if he is there with the 11th overall pick?
Yes
44.6%
No
55.4%
Total votes: 157

However, drafting Kuechly would make sense on many fronts for the Chiefs.

He is very versatile at inside linebacker, as he is solid against the run and can also defend the pass well for his position.

The Cincinnati, Ohio native also has a non-stop motor and is known for giving it his all on nearly every down that he plays on defense.

Best of all, he is an instinctive playmaker and could instantly make this Chiefs defense better, including the entire KC linebacking corps and defensive line.

It would seem that if Kansas City were to select Kuechly in the first round of April's draft, the pick would have Chiefs GM Scott Pioli's hand-prints all of it, due to his versatility and his blue-collar type of play at linebacker.

In just over four weeks, we will find out exactly how the Chiefs feel about taking Kuechly with their first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, assuming that he's still on the board when their turn comes up.

Until then, he remains a strong possibility for Kansas City's first round pick in April.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:27 pm

NFL Draft 2012: The Chiefs And The Possibility Of Ryan Tannehill
Photo

By Matt Conner

Fans aren't the only ones calling for this. The Chiefs themselves have said they want to take action. If they like Tannehill enough, this is their chance.

Mar 27, 2012 - The Kansas City Chiefs have echoed the sentiments of the many of their fans and the sportswriter who also cover them this offseason with public statements about the state of the quarterback position. During the 2011 season, Matt Cassel's third at the helm for the Chiefs, many were calling for this season to be his last and wondered if the Chiefs would make a move in the upcoming offseason to address the level of competition and perhaps bring in a new starter.

When Cassel was injured halfway through the season, the Chiefs saw a glimpse of both how bad things could get and the possibility of something more with his replacements. The decision to start Tyler Palko for four consecutive games single-handedly cost the Chiefs the division title and ultimately cost Todd Haley his job (among many other factors). In that stretch, Matt Cassel looked like a godsend compared to Palko on the field, and a quick return from injury would have been welcomed with open arms.

Then came Kyle Orton. After the Chiefs claimed the former Denver Broncos quarterback on waivers, beating out other teams like the Chicago Bears, the team began to find a new rhythm on offense. While visions of Priest Holmes and offensive shootouts never appeared, the team moved the chains with greater frequency and carried a greater confidence about them with a new man in the huddle. At least that's the way it seemed from the outside looking in.

Whether that was due to Palko serving as the precursor or not, Orton gave Chiefs fans a sign of things to come. It was the first fresh option at quarterback in a few seasons, so it was heartening to hear the Chiefs brass believed the same thing.

The Chiefs surprised everyone this offseason with the level of candor with the press. Statements were made publicly about the plan to bring in competition at the quarterback position. Romeo Crennel even went so far as to say he would be "crazy" not to want Peyton Manning as his quarterback, and Clark Hunt even made a statement saying the Chiefs were interested. Whether or not they were going to get Manning, the Chiefs were going to make a move between the Super Bowl and the kickoff of the 2012 season to change things at quarterback.

Thus far, the Chiefs have made some very impressive moves to shape their team. While they lost Brandon Carr to the Dallas Cowboys, the team replaced him with Stanford Routt preemptively and then buoyed their offense with another tight end in Kevin Boss, a tandem back for Jamaal Charles in Peyton Hillis and a replacement at right tackle in Eric Winston. Each of those adds not only some much needed security and depth on offense, but they also represent a significant upgrade on the depth chart. The Chiefs, in short, are already much better on offense than any point in 2011.

Then there's Brady Quinn. He's the other free agent signing the Chiefs have made and there's reason to like the move if we were discussing the back-up quarterback position. Given the difference between Tyler Palko and Brady Quinn, it's a nice move to strengthen the roster like the other ones made already this offseason. But when Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel and Clark Hunt were making statements about the quarterback position in one way or another, I believe it's safe to say that no one believed signing Quinn was the change they were talking about.

As of now, the major dominoes at quarterback have fallen. Some are left empty-handed and the quarterback situations in Cleveland and Miami are laughable. The Chiefs, in other words, have a better situation than others in the NFL. However, that doesn't negate the fact that change was expected and, thus far, not quite delivered. Given the dearth of free agent quarterbacks left on the market, it's likely that the NFL Draft is only place left for change (unless a trade magically opens up somehow).

Andrew Luck is spoken for. Robert Griffin III has been claimed as well. The top two picks in the draft have been cemented for some time ever since the Washington Redskins traded the future for the dynamic present in the form of this year's Heisman winner. And the draft class boasts only two surefire prospects. Luck and Griffin are both regarded as franchise quarterbacks. Everyone else, while promising, comes with a question mark or another.

Ryan Tannehill stands as the top of the "rest." Brandon Weeden is intriguing. Russell Wilson is celebrated despite his short height. Various scouts like Nick Foles, Brock Osewiler, Kirk Cousins and B.J. Coleman. However, Texas A&M's Tannehill is almost always listed as the third best available quarterback and it's likely that someone moves up to take him in the top ten. Whether or not he is a top ten talent is not the concern. It's all about the scarcity of hope at the most important position on the field.

The Chiefs have already addressed some of their biggest needs this offseason so far and they are likely to continue to do so. Defensive line needs to be addressed. Inside linebacker will likely garner help as well. Depth all around the secondary will also earn some draft nods. But the Chiefs have made enough moves that a move for quarterback could, at the very least, be considered.

While I am not interested in proposing specific trades to move up to Tannehill using the depth chart, my primary concern is with the interest of Tannehill in the first place. With only 19 career starts, his ceiling is actually unknown. Some scouts may love him, while others remain uncertain, but at the very least he is intriguing and the potential is there for greatness.

At 6-2, 222 lbs, Tannehill has the prototypical size of a pro quarterback, and his stats look good as well. This last year at A&M, Tannehill completed 327 of 531 throws for a 61.6 completion percentage. In total he threw for over 3,700 yards with 29 touchdowns to 15 interceptions. In a win over Robert Griffin and the Baylor Bears, Tannehill upstaged the Heisman winner in a 55-28 win with 6 touchdowns.

Wes Bunting of the National Football Post believes in him and writes, "With such limited experience at the quarterback position it's not a case of where this guy is right now, but where he can be in 2/3 years. I love the talent and the overall production from a guy who doesn't have much experience playing from under center as he plays way beyond his years. A potential franchise quarterback in my mind."

Matt Waldman also praises him and writes, "Counting on any rookie quarterback to play like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton is asking too much from an NFL rookie. However, Tannehill belongs in the top half of this draft and he’s not the project some people think."

Not everyone agrees with this synopsis, of course, which is why Tannehill is not being taken at No. 3 in mock drafts. Sideline Scouts compares him to Blaine Gabbert despite some positives they really like, which is a death knell given the Jags starter's performance last season. Drafttek looks and sees Alex Smith as a comparable player -- again, hardly a vote of confidence given the poor-to-middling results over Smith's first several seasons for the 49ers. At this rate, Cassel is the better choice.

If the Chiefs believe that Tannehill's upside is level with those comparisons, then they are likely to stay where they are at in the draft order and go with a Dontari Poe or Luke Kuechly addition. That would also be the correct move if Tannehill's future is no better than Alex Smith. However some believe he can be the third franchise quarterback from this draft, and if the Chiefs agree with that through their own scouting observations, then a move needs to be made. After all, fans aren't the only ones calling for this. The Chiefs themselves have said they want to take action. If they like Tannehill enough, this is their chance.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Please don't screw up this pick!
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:41 pm

That article made Kuelchy sound more intreaging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days   2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2012 NFL Draft and Pro Days
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next