ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left45%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left12%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left3%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left9%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left3%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left6%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left12%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_left9%***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***

Go down 
+5
OutlawChief
RustShack
Touchdown Bowe
KCJay
SylvesterMalone1978
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Empty
PostSubject: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Ding dong the which is dead! Hope is restored and Hunt is the opposite of cheap!
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Dorsey if the favorite to be the GM. Hes been a hot hire for a few years and last year declined to even interview with teams or give them the life of day(sounds like Pioli before we landed him). Sounds like though Dorsey is actually responsible for all of the great players the Packers have drafted... which would be his main job here as Reid will have more power.

OC top candidates are Childress and Shumar.

DC top candidates are Dick Jauron or Monte Kiffen
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Monte is interesting... put together the great Tampa defense, but he couldn't do anything at USC with an elite talent advantage over other teams.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Quote :

Having said all that, here's what the philosophy boil down to. Throwing is the answer to your problems. I guarantee you'll hear Andy say this in the next year, "keep firing." That's his philosophy. If the pass is not working, you don't give up... you keep firing.

You pass early to get a lead so you can run later to keep it. If you don't get a lead or you fall behind... you keep firing.

And while this may sound bad, let's not forget the facts. Andy's offenses have scored a lot of points. They were 8th in ppg even last year (2011). They were 3rd in 2010. 5th in 2009. 6th in 2008 and so on. Situationally, you will question whether his philosophy makes sense. I certainly do... But when you step back and look at the big picture, they score points.
Back to top Go down
KCJay
Pro
Pro
KCJay

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Tumblr_mepv4t5HCc1r4cfazo1_250
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Vermeil told Reid that KC’s pros overcome lack of QB

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 4, 2013, 3:40 PM EST

AP
Another man who made the trek from Philadelphia to Kansas City said he had a simple piece of advice for Andy Reid, when he was still thinking about the Chiefs job.

“Go,” former Eagles and Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said, via Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star.

Vermeil said, prior to Reid agreeing to the deal earlier today, that he spoke with Reid regularly, and had nothing but positive things to say about his old town.

“He’s coached at the University of Missouri,” Vermeil said of Reid’s three-year stint as an assistant from 1989-91, “he’s been in middle America before and knows what the people are like. He knows how I feel about it. He’s been in that stadium. He kicked my rear . . . when we were ahead 18-0 . . . and he knows how the fans are there, and how that Arrowhead Stadium is when it’s full.

“And he knows the great respect and admiration people in the NFL have for the Hunt family, so why not go? There are no negatives.”

Well, there are some negatives.

They did just go 2-14, and they don’t have a quarterback. But to the eternally positive Vermeil, that is but a speed bump.

“You can’t have everything,” Vermeil said. “I’d rather have a great owner and no quarterback than a quarterback and not a great owner. They have a couple of quarterbacks [Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn] who have played well before, and maybe they’ll play well again. Sometimes schemes fit quarterbacks better than other schemes.

“This year took a guy out of college, for criminy sakes, [Nick Foles], a third-round draft choice, and he plays pretty darn well.”

Of course, Reid probably has words stronger than “criminy” when he thought about the Chiefs depth chart at the most important position.

And even if he doesn’t use the first pick in the draft on a quarterback, it’s the first thing he has to fix.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:10 pm

I think Kiffins defense is done. He was great in Tampa but we need a more modern DC.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Houston-Dorsey-Poe-Hali would be an interesting front four. But DJ is our only starting LB. Siler MAYBE, but we'd need more.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
KCJay
Pro
Pro
KCJay

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:37 pm

I predict he brings in Vick and drafts Smith...
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:38 pm

If we do switch back to a 4-3, Dorsey must be resigned.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Wouldnt be shocked to see Reid draft Tyler Wilson honestly. Reid once coached a guy named Brett Favre in Green Bay..who I think Wilson compares very similarly to.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

It will be real interesting to see where guys like Geno and Wilson go. Would be awesome if we could draft someone like Te'o first then either Geno or Wilson second. Would just depend on how far they fall and how much we'd have to trade up.

I could see Geno skyrocket after the combine. Whats the Senior Bowl situation for these QB's?

I personally don't think QB's drop as far as people think. Geno will be drafted top 5 if not #1.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:53 pm

As of right now I'd be willing to bet we could land Wilson in the 2nd. Unfortunately I think Wilson will skyrocket into the top 15 possibly top 10 after the senior bowl and combine.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:54 pm

I honestly think we have to take Geno. The talent is there. He only struggles when the deep game is taken away from him, which is the opposite of other QB's. I think Reid could really develop him nicely into a great QB.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:54 pm

I really think Geno is gonna blow people away at the senior bowl and combine. He'll pull a Cam Newton and shoot to the top of everybodys board.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Reid loves the deep passing attack as well and that will work very well with Geno. He's got the weapons here to work with. I'd be curious to see if he tries to use McCluster in that Desean Jackson type roll.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

As of now I think Geno has to be the guy. If we are drafting a QB. I like Wilson also but think Geno would be better suited for Reid. But will admit I have seen more of Geno than Wilson.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Reid really wanted McCluster in Philly.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 pm

RustShack wrote:
Reid really wanted McCluster in Philly.

Hopefully Reid can finally figure out how McCluster can best be used. Dex showed a lot of progress as a WR this year.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:50 am

Reid knows how to use players like McCluster to their highest potential. He will put together a great offense. It will be with a veteran QB for a year or two then someone like Geno will take over.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:21 pm

chiefbravebull wrote:
Reid knows how to use players like McCluster to their highest potential. He will put together a great offense. It will be with a veteran QB for a year or two then someone like Geno will take over.

I am OK with that also. Only time will tell. I am excited again lol. March and April seem so far away now lol.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm

I know. This offseason should be fuckin epic.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 pm

The Chiefs Defense With KaloPhoenix

Back to the 4-3? The future of the Chiefs defense under Andy Reid

By KaloPhoenix on Jan 6, 8:00a 371

The Chiefs have hired Andy Reid, who is a good offensive mind. So what about the defense? KaloPhoenix takes a look at how the Chiefs defense could look in the future.

Since Wednesday evening's news about the nine hour meeting in Philadelphia and subsequent hiring of Andy Reid, the most asked question for me has been:

What are the Kansas City Chiefs going to do on defense?

The desire is for Andy Reid's new offense to hang points on the board quickly -- understandable -- but the defense is definitely a Jekyll and Hyde sort of beast.

We've all seen the flashes of brilliance in the 2011 win over Green Bay and the 2012 second half beatdown of New Orleans, but in truth, there have been plenty of the Week 17 38-point games against the Broncos out of this defense than the opposite.

I still love the 3-4 defense, and I think the system the Chiefs run could be successful with a couple tweaks, and I have stated my desire for a Ron Rivera led defense (should he get fired in Carolina).

But, on the Chiefs future defense, NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah tweets that he "won't be shocked if Monte Kiffin lands in KC as DC." And others have heard the same.

It could be something, it could be nothing more than a rumor. But I've seen some vitriol about the possibility of that hire. Ask yourself, "Would I be okay with Monte Kiffin in Kansas City?"

Most don't like it because of these two words: Tampa 2

It's a term that makes most Chiefs fans skin crawl. Yes, the same style that Herm Edwards played during the catastrophe of the 2008 season. Yes, the same defense that is supposedly "going the way of the West Coast offense" (which, ironically, Andy Reid may run in KC). There were two defenses running the Tampa 2 as their primary defense this year: Chicago and Minnesota. The fundamentals of the defense are predicated on speed and tackling ability, as well as a zone shell requiring all of the linebackers to have quality coverage ability.

Oh yeah, and the way Monte runs it, it's a 4-3 Under Front. The very same front that I condoned in a post nearly 4 years ago.

That article pairs players with specific responsibilities per descriptions given by Pete Carroll. The first thing you may note (other than the alarming amount of Tamba-hate in the post and in the comments) is that the Chiefs never ran this defense, thereby making any correlation as to where players could fit a moot point.

Now that it's coming up again, and after four years of experience in the 3-4 defense, I'd like to address those positions again.

Sharp-eyed readers (or those who already know how a 4-3 under works) will see that where the defensive linemen are positioned: 1-tech nose tackle, a 3-tech defensive tackle, a 5-tech strongside defensive end, and a pass-rushing defensive end.

Currently, the Chiefs are sporting a young nose tackle in Dontari Poe, a decent 5-technique in Tyson Jackson, and a two-time Pro Bowl pass-rusher in Tamba Hali. The 3-technique position would fit Glenn Dorsey's strengths coming out of college should he re-sign with Kansas City, but many will agree that another defensive lineman is needed going into the next year.

The linebackers, meanwhile, are shifted in a very familiar way, because it's quite similar to what the 3-4 looks like already. Justin Houston plays outside of the tight end as the strongside linebacker, and Derrick Johnson lines up five yards deep as the weakside linebacker. The middle linebacker lines up quite similar to the Chiefs current strongside inside linebacker. Right now, the Chiefs don't have that guy.

So, the personnel required to run a 4-3 Under front isn't lacking any more than that required to continue running the 3-4 defense the Chiefs have been running already. On top of that, Kiffin's methods would also get this defense to something most around here have been clamoring for: a 1-gapping system. If you're not sure what that is, go read Texas Chief's comments on 1-gapping. He does a great job explaining it.

Now, for the secondary:

This is what a typical Cover 2 scheme looks like in the NFL. It's sectioned into five pieces in the first 10-15 yards, then asks the deep safeties to cover the deep parts of the field, from midfield to sideline. Tony Dungy and Lane Kiffin said to hell with that and changed it up slightly to cover the deep middle a bit better and look like this:

This scheme allows for more coverage of the soft spots in a typical Cover 2, making the safeties have to cover less space, and allowing them to collapse on routes quicker without worrying about getting beaten by a pump fake or misdirection. Every team has a version of the Cover 2 in their arsenal. The Chiefs have ran it for years. However, the 2002 Super Bowl Winning Bucs put a smaller linebacker, Shelton Quarles (6'1, 225 pounds ) at that MLB position and had him cover more area on the field. The Chiefs currently do some of these same principles with Eric Berry in the nickel defense, but in more of a man coverage scheme than a zone like the Tampa 2 suggests.

Another guy who used Eric Berry this way? Monte Kiffin in 2009 at Tennesee.

He made Eric Berry the guy that commanded a top five pick at the time by playing him in this defense and letting him roam. Oh yeah, and that Brandon Flowers guy? He was drafted because of his translation into Herm's Tampa 2, so he's familiar with the defense as well.

So, what does the secondary lack in this situation? A cornerback is needed one way or another, and this team could do with one or two new safeties since they tend to blow through them with injuries...but those are problems whether or not the Tampa 2 is implemented.

Combining that with the front seven, the Chiefs needs are CB, DT, S, LB/S, which are exactly the holes that the defense currently has.

Still, people are afraid of the defense. Its popularity in the league has waned since the 2002 Bucs put possibly the greatest defense of the decade on the field. When run well, the defense is hard to break down, and results in short passes and stymied runs. When it's run badly, however, linebackers can end up on slot receivers, and holes can pop up all over the secondary. Most that ran it moved away from it because of the high premium it puts on the pass rushing DE, the 3-technique DT, the WLB, and the primary CB. The Chiefs have at least three of those on the squad right now, and it's anybody's guess if Dorsey could gain a resurgence as a 1-gap, 3-tech. By the way, it was this very same defense that created Warren Sapp's legend.

Above I said that I thought the 3-4 system ran here in Kansas City could work with a few tweaks. I think there are some of the interior linemen on this team that could benefit from a 1-gap style of defense. I think Eric Berry should be allowed to roam in the middle to deep-middle of the field and make breaks on the ball, but not get too far away from the line in run support. I think the way DJ, Tamba, and Houston are being implemented currently is successful, and I wouldn't change that. Finally, I've been beating the drum that the defense should utilize the same personnel as much as possible to disguise coverages, blitzes, and not allow the opposition to force the defense into certain personnel packages. All of the above are hallmarks of Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2, and they play to the strengths of the defense's best players.

So then, ask yourself again: "Would I be okay with Monte Kiffin in Kansas City?"
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Will be interesting to see who Reid picks to be DC.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 am

I really wish I knew where Geno Smith was actually getting drafted. Te'o AND Smith would just be great. But I doubt theres any way Smith actually falls far enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***   ***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread*** Empty

Back to top Go down

***Official Pioli Fire, Reid Hired Thread***
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next