ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left45%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left12%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left3%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left9%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left3%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left6%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left12%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_left9%Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.

Go down 
+4
RustShack
Touchdown Bowe
OutlawChief
BigRatt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Empty
PostSubject: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

2010 NFL Draft: Chiefs Tried To Trade Up In The Second Round
by Joel Thorman

We continue with our look at Clark Judge's interview with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli.

There are a couple of interesting notes here:

•The Chiefs were considering three players with the 36th pick
•They tried to trade up from the 50th pick

When the Chiefs came up to pick at 36, they were considering three players. Also being armed with another second round pick, they had to decide who had the least chance of falling to 50.

That was McCluster.

"Afterward," PIoli said, "I had three calls from different people I know and trust who said he wouldn't have made it to 50."

Sounds like good timing.

The Chiefs were considering three players at 36 so that means

"There was another guy we were considering at 36," he said, "but the other two were ahead of him. And what ended up happening was that we tried trading up earlier than 50, weren't able to get it done and the other player that we wanted went off the board."

So they tried to trade up after 36 and before 50. Who were they targeting? Here's a list of the players drafted between picks 37-49:

FS Nate Allen, FS TJ Ward, WR Arrelious Benn, DE Koa Misi, DT Torell Troup, TE Rob Gronkowski, DE/LB Sergio Kindle, DT Lamarr Houston, OT Zane Beadles, DT Linval Joseph, LB Daryl Washington, QB Jimmy Clausen and FS Taylor Mays.

Few interesting thoughts about this list.

I think any of the safeties have to be considered -- Nate Allen, TJ Ward and Taylor Mays. The Chiefs either worked out or attended the pro day of all these players.

You also have to note the defensive tackles -- Torell Troup and Linval Joseph. Both could be considered at nose tackle. Romeo Crennel put Troup through a private workout down in Florida.

Pass rusher is a need so Sergio Kindle is there. He was a slider during the draft and could have been rated higher on draft boards.

These picks came from those with the Chiefs connection: Koa Misi (Dolphins/Parcells), Rob Gronkowski (Patriots/Belichick) and Zane Beadles (Broncos/McDaniels).

We're not sure who it was but Pioli liked him enough to try to trade up for him. I wouldn't be surprised if five years from now this particular player is a free agent, signs with the Chiefs and we find out Pioli loved him in the draft.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

Benn, Troup, Kindle make sense to me off that list.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:03 pm

BigRatt wrote:
Benn, Troup, Kindle make sense to me off that list.

I agree, thats who I was thinking also.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Who else on that list was a team captain?
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Touchdown Bowe wrote:

Probally Clausen. But we already know that he was never a target for the Chiefs.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:01 pm

BigRatt wrote:
Touchdown Bowe wrote:

Probally Clausen. But we already know that he was never a target for the Chiefs.

He could of been if he feel to 50. Hell he probably would have been the pick at 36 if they hadn't found out McCluster would be taken the very next pick.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 pm

I think either the Cardinals outbid us and traded up to get Daryl Washington, or we were trying to get our nose tackle. We had plenty of opportunities to select or trade up for Clausen.
Back to top Go down
SoCal_Ed
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm about 99% sure the Chiefs did not attend the USC pro day so scratch Mays off the list.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 pm

They did bring Taylor Mays in for a private workout.
Back to top Go down
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 11:39 pm

i really could see that they would have wanted mays
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 12:03 am

Mays was a captain too..wasnt he?
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 am

I would assume so... Ed should be able to answer this.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 am

What I'm hearing is after they found out McCluster wouldn't fall to 50 they were hoping Linval Joseph would.
Back to top Go down
archemist
n00b cake
n00b cake
archemist

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptySun May 02, 2010 4:53 pm

These are all very interesting bits of info. Many of us would be happy with most of the choices on that list. I would have loved to see one of these defensive studs like Kindle, Troup, or one of those safeties.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Kindles knee injury is what scared off teams until the 2nd round..without the injury, he's a 1st rounder
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.   Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd. Empty

Back to top Go down

Chiefs Tried to Trade up in the 2nd.
Page 1 of 1