ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left45%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left12%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left3%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left9%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left3%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left6%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left12%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_left9%Will KC make a trade on draft day? Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Will KC make a trade on draft day?

Go down 
+5
kcchiefs
deadeyededric
Touchdown Bowe
RustShack
ccardwell67
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

Will KC make a trade on draft day? Empty
PostSubject: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 4:48 pm

From Josh Looney

Here’s a little something to chew on this weekend. Earlier in the week we took a look at the prospects of Kansas City trading out of the fifth overall draft pick this April. Whether or not trading that pick is something that Scott Pioli would like to do is something few know for certain, but recent history shows us that dropping out of the top-five is a rarity.

As was noted in Wanna Trade? there have been a total of 129 trades involving draft picks since 2005. Of those 129 trades, only one has occurred in the top five. That top-five trade came last year and involved a quarterback when the Jets traded up with the Browns to select Mark Sanchez.

But what about the later rounds?

The Chiefs are a team that owns two picks in the second round as well as three picks bunched together in the fifth round. In total, Kansas City boasts eight picks in the first five rounds, which presents plenty of opportunity to wheel and deal.

Pulling the trigger on a move in the middle rounds is nothing new to the Chiefs second-year general manager. While in New England, Pioli was part of a team that made 23 trades between rounds two and six from 2000-08. Many of those deals are what helped form the modern-day Patriots team as we know it.

When scouring over the list of New England’s draft day trades, one such transaction sticks out as being above ultra-impressive. The deal was both interesting and unique. It also paid out well in the long run. Check out how that Pats came to select Pro Bowl CB Asante Samuel in 2003…

1) The Patriots were holding the 50th overall pick (second round) and struck a deal to trade up with Carolina.

2) New England selected WR Bethel Johnson with Carolina’s 45th overall pick and gave the Panthers their 50th pick and the 120th overall pick (fourth round).

3) Later, Carolina would deal that 120th overall selection to Denver in a trade.

4) Once the fourth round of the draft came up, the Patriots were sitting with the 128th overall choice and dealt that pick to Denver for…you guessed it…that original 120th overall selection.

5) Originally held by New England, and then dealt through two teams before coming full circle back to New England, the Patriots drafted CB Asante Samuel at 120th overall in 2003.

Between the three teams who stepped into that trade, New England’s acquisitions of Samuel and Johnson pulled the trump card on the players drafted by the opposition. The duo of Samuel and Johnson currently own 156 games of NFL experience compared to just 17 games combined between the trio of players drafted by Carolina and Denver (C Bruce Nelson, DT Bryant McNeal and C Ben Claxton).

Since the turn of the century, when New England deals, they typically find talent. DE Ty Warren, DT Vince Wilfork, S Eugene Wilson, DT Dan Klecko, C Dan Koppen, TE Daniel Graham, T Matt Light and T Kenyatta Jones are all notable examples of players acquired by using traded draft picks. Most were players drafted somewhere in the middle rounds.

This is the system in which Pioli has seen implemented throughout his career. For 2010, it’s likely not a question of if the Chiefs are going to trade, but when the Chiefs are going to trade. Hopefully Pioli can mock the success he experienced with traded picks during his tenure with New England, right here in Kansas City.

It’s also notable that both Chiefs QB Matt Cassel and T Ryan O’Callaghan (pictured) were players who the Patriots drafted with dealt picks. In fact, both players came in the same deal.

In 2005 the Patriots dealt Oakland their sixth round pick (175th overall) for the Raiders seventh round pick (230th overall) and fifth round pick in 2006 (136th overall). Cassel was selected with that seventh round choice, while O’Callaghan went with the sixth in 2006. The Raiders, meanwhile, used their sixth round pick to draft DT Antaaj Hawthorn.

Hawthorne never started a NFL game and was out of the league by 2007. Cassel and O’Callaghan have obviously gone on to become regular starters.

Oh, those Raiders and their (insert adjective here) trades…
Back to top Go down
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 4:57 pm

im hoping we can trade back in the first and still get claussen and possibly another second or third rounder for this year
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Trading down would be great.. if we don't we have to take Clausen or Berry.. but its almost a waste to draft Berry this year since its so deep at that position.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 7:49 pm

If the Rams dont take Bradford..Cleveland can swap us positions and get him..then we can go down 2 spots and get Clausen and another 2nd rounder
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 7:50 pm

I really hope the Browns trading up with us happens. That would be by far the best possible move the Chiefs could make.
Back to top Go down
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:04 pm

no doubt who is high on the browns radar besides bradford
Back to top Go down
deadeyededric
n00b cake
n00b cake

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:13 pm

If we take Clausen, i will fucking puke.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 pm

deadeyededric wrote:
If we take Clausen, i will fucking puke.

Whats wrong with Clausen?
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Clausen is the best Jr. QB to ever enter the NFL draft coming from a Pro Style offense. He is better than Cassel in every single way except maybe mobility, but its not like he is far behind him there.
Back to top Go down
deadeyededric
n00b cake
n00b cake

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:27 pm

I really don't wanna wait 2-3 years to start winning again. Although I don't think we win over 8 next year. If everybody is going to give Albert another chance at LT, then give Cassel another chance. I think three years ago when we started the youth movement thing we should have went after a quarterback. I don't know if I can take a 6-7 year rebuilding process guys. Losing is getting old.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Heres the thing though, Clausen is already more polished than Cassel. The difference between Cassel and Albert is Albert is only entering his third year which is the typical break out year.. Cassel is already 28. Albert is a first round pick and very talented... Cassel is a career backup with a weak arm and worse accuracy(especially when throwing deeper than ten yards).

Clausen has been in Weis' offense the last three years, has a far far far better arm and is a lot more accurate.. his ball is also a lot more catchable. Clausen has better pocket awareness so he won't lead the league in sacks no matter how bad the line is. Clausen is better than Cassel on day one, and has far more potential to be great. This is a league of QB's now, Cassel needs a great defense and running game so he can manage a team to the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Clausen would be nice, but I'm not going to complain one bit if we draft defense.. unless is a DL.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Clausen
Berry
McClain
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Thats the three guys I would prefer too.. I almost would rather take McClain than Berry though unless we can land Spikes.
Back to top Go down
kcchiefs
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
kcchiefs

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 4:18 pm

I would love to draft any of them... but if we do get Clausen Allen in the 2nd and Spikes in the 4th wouldnt bother me a bit. lol
Back to top Go down
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 4:49 pm

where are they projecting spikes to go to now
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Third round I'm thinking.
Back to top Go down
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:05 pm

if we get him in the third i will be ecstatic
Back to top Go down
kcchiefs
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
kcchiefs

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 11:15 pm

I think Spikes could fall as far as the 4th round.
Back to top Go down
jneises21
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 pm

I think the real question is how many trades the chiefs make on draft day Laughing
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:08 pm

A lot of people including coach Bill Billichick are saying the second round this year is going to be just like another first round other year.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I am more excited for the draft this year than I have ever been I think!

Spikes is a tough kid, I would not mind having him on our team. He could be an eventual starter for us. In our defense his lack of speed is less of a factor. I just hope it isnt because of his work ethic.

I would not mind if the chiefs drafted Clausen and traded Cassell, I doubt that it would happen. I think that the best case scenario is for us to swap picks with Cleveland and then take the best defensive player available. Berry, McClain, Williams, Pierre-Paul. Then in the second get Tate or move up if we have to. Then with the other second rounder, we should address either o-line or one of the defensive positions we could not fill in the first round.
Back to top Go down
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

not a bad idea your proposing bull. i do think however the likelyhood of us drafting clausen is higher than you think
Back to top Go down
Lightning88
Amateur
Amateur
Lightning88

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:20 pm

chiefbravebull wrote:
I am more excited for the draft this year than I have ever been I think!

Spikes is a tough kid, I would not mind having him on our team. He could be an eventual starter for us. In our defense his lack of speed is less of a factor. I just hope it isnt because of his work ethic.

I would not mind if the chiefs drafted Clausen and traded Cassell, I doubt that it would happen. I think that the best case scenario is for us to swap picks with Cleveland and then take the best defensive player available. Berry, McClain, Williams, Pierre-Paul. Then in the second get Tate or move up if we have to. Then with the other second rounder, we should address either o-line or one of the defensive positions we could not fill in the first round.
were on the same page
Back to top Go down
http://www.springfieldlightning.com
ccardwell67
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
ccardwell67

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 pm

lightning if you had to pick who would you chosse in the first
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will KC make a trade on draft day?   Will KC make a trade on draft day? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will KC make a trade on draft day?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next