ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left45%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left12%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left3%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left9%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left3%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left6%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left12%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_left9%Dorsey: No definite first round QB Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Dorsey: No definite first round QB

Go down 
+4
Touchdown Bowe
RustShack
OutlawChief
SylvesterMalone1978
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

Dorsey: No definite first round QB Empty
PostSubject: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 am

No clear quarterback choice for Chiefs in the draft
By ADAM TEICHER
Kansas City Star
Published Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013, at 3:36 p.m.
0 CommentsEmailPrintReprints
Pros and cons
Matt Barkley, 6-2, 230, USC: Superb leadership skills, the first one at practice or meetings and the last one to leave. But his arm strength is suspect. May be a system fit.

Mike Glennon, 6-7, 220, North Carolina State: Strong arm. He’s easily able to make all the necessary throws. But a lack of mobility could be a problem against a strong pass rush.

Ryan Nassib, 6-2, 225, Syracuse: Good mobility and throws well on the run. But he’s a late-bloomer who might need more seasoning before he’s ready for the NFL.

Geno Smith, 6-3, 210, West Virginia: Has best ability of all the top prospects. Was durable in college, but he’s not an imposing specimen. So how will he hold up in the NFL?

Tyler Wilson, 6-2, 220, Arkansas: Will stand in and take a hit but still make an accurate throw. But he’s short for an ideal NFL quarterback and has small hands, which could lead to fumbling problems.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Chiefs spent the last several days setting their draft board in preparation for this week’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. The process merely confirmed for new general manager John Dorsey that when it comes to quarterbacks, their homework is only starting.

Opinions on the top available quarterbacks in this year’s draft are that varied.

“There is no quarterback where personnel guys can definitely say, ‘He’s a first-round pick,’ ” Dorsey said. “There were so many inconsistencies in the collective group. There was not one guy that stood up and said, ‘I’m the guy in the position this year.’ There really wasn’t one clear-cut guy.

“There are too many technical flaws, scheme flaws. There are so many different variables that there are a lot of people all over the place on naming the top four or five guys and who those guys would be.”

The Chiefs aren’t the only team having trouble sorting through the top quarterback prospects. From the natural ability of West Virginia’s Geno Smith to the smooth leadership skills of USC’s Matt Barkley to the willingness to take a hit in the face of a strong pass rush of Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson, there are plenty of things to like.

There are reasons to pause just the same. Smith faltered late last fall against better competition. Barkley and Wilson had disappointing, injury-marred senior seasons.

This is a particular problem for teams like the Chiefs, who have a gaping need at quarterback. Dorsey didn’t say so specifically, but he didn’t sound like the Chiefs were planning to take a quarterback with the first pick in this year’s draft.

More likely, the Chiefs will select a quarterback later in the draft — if they take one at all.

Dorsey said both he and coach Andy Reid would be in attendance at the workouts of most, if not all, of the top available quarterbacks.

“I think Andy is a really good evaluator of quarterbacks,” Dorsey said. “I want him and I to go to as many quarterback workouts as possible and actually set our own up.”

The quarterback rankings for last year’s draft were determined almost a year in advance. Stanford’s Andrew Luck was a consensus choice to be the top player selected as soon as the 2011 draft was finished. Baylor’s Robert Griffin III came on as a senior to win the Heisman Trophy and make the race interesting, but in the end, Luck was selected first by Indianapolis. Griffin was taken with the next pick by Washington.

“Last year was an easy evaluation,” draft analyst Mel Kiper said. “Automatically, you put Andrew Luck and RG III up there.”

This year, quarterback ratings are scattered. Some teams like Smith, but others have different favorites, like Barkley, Wilson, North Carolina State’s Mike Glennon or Syracuse’s Ryan Nassib.

“The year didn’t go the way Barkley and the USC Trojans hoped,” Kiper said. “He began the year number one on my big board. You saw what happened with USC. They lost four games with Barkley at quarterback and lost a couple more when he was hurt. They didn’t have a signature win all year. They dropped down the rankings from number one and he dropped down the rankings from number one.

“Geno Smith started out great. It looked like after Barkley struggled you could lock Geno Smith in. Then he has a disappointing second half of the season, so there are issues in terms of what type of starting quarterback he can be. Glennon was hot for a while even though he had a subpar supporting cast, and he didn’t play great (in the bowl game) against Vanderbilt and didn’t have a wow-you-over Senior Bowl week.

“Things didn’t fall into place at Arkansas, and that affected Tyler Wilson. The wheels came off for all the quarterbacks at some point (last) year. Things just didn’t fall right to allow them to maximize their ability. That’s why the teams are right now in the predicament they are, trying to figure this whole quarterback thing out and not overdraft or push a guy up when he’s not deserving.”

Kiper doesn’t have a quarterback rated among his top 25 players. In fact, in his latest mock draft, Kiper doesn’t have a single quarterback being selected in the first round.

“It’s just a tough evaluation, trying to figure out which quarterbacks in this draft, if any, will be great starting quarterbacks,” he said.

Dorsey said he expects at least two quarterbacks to be drafted in the first round because so many teams have a need. It’s a matter, though, of which ones.

Things could solidify in the next couple of months. The draft doesn’t begin until April 25. Meanwhile, the combine begins this week, followed by pro days on college campuses and then individual workouts.

To Dorsey, at least, personal interviews might be the most important part of the postseason draft process. He said a quarterback can improve his draft standing with a series of strong interviews.

“The most impressive interview I’ve ever had in the last 25 years of doing this? Russell Wilson,” said Dorsey, referring to the quarterback drafted by Seattle last year in the third round. “Wasn’t even close. You could feel that guy as a person, how strong he was, how intellectually deep he was, how mentally tough he was, that he had the charisma to lead other players. I always try to look at kids like I’m in the locker room and I’m a teammate. It was easy to see this guy leading a team.

“A quarterback wants to come across in the interview process as confident, as having a vast understanding and knowledge of defenses, as being capable of leading a group of men. That’s what you’ve got to convey to the teams. On film, his physical traits and skills will come out. But you have to over the next few weeks impress on teams the character of his soul, his ability to lead a franchise.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/02/16/267...#storylink=cpy
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Looks like no Geno for us. Or any QB in the first for that matter. Better make the pick count then boys.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 am

It's most likely going to be defense if its not a QB...
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

Depressing this us the year we got the top pick. But at least Reid doesn't need a first rounder to get production from QB's I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 pm

You know im honestly starting to wonder if Geno is actually gonna slide down into the middle of the first round. Aaron Rodgers-esque. If he does slide down into the middle to late first round we better be trading up to get this guy.

Im still gonna wait for the combine because that changes everything every year. I think he'll impress..but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm

I have a hard time believing no QB is projected higher than 20. That Panthers were projected to take a DT the entire time up until the combine, then a lot of people finally started projecting Scam Newton.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 am

I just about guarantee that there will be 2 taken in the 1st round. Both of them should go in the top 15!
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm

0 Comments | Source: ESPN.com - Bill Williamson | Share:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Expected to talk with Matt Barkley at combine
Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:07:52 -0800

The Kansas City Chiefs will likely talk to Southern California QB Matt Barkley (shoulder) at the NFL Scouting Combine with the idea of possibly using a second-round pick on him if he is still available

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2LSonfDuF
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm sure we will meet with the other three QB's who are projected as west coast QB's too.. Among others.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm

If we take Matt fucking Barkley at all...I dont even know. Dude is nothing special. Mediocre at best.
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 am

Touchdown Bowe wrote:
If we take Matt fucking Barkley at all...I dont even know. Dude is nothing special. Mediocre at best.
I agree. I still think Manuel will wind up the best QB of this class but it all depends on circumstance I guess.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

This is a awful year to need a QB. Nobody looks worthy of a number 1. FA looking slim. At best we are hoping to trade back into 1st or take what's left at 2.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Were gonna end up meeting with Geno, Wilson, Nassib, Glennon, Manuel, and others at the combine..Reid and Dorsey arent gonna leave any stones unturned. Odds are if they dont interview you at the combine, you dont have much of a future in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 pm

RustShack wrote:
I have a hard time believing no QB is projected higher than 20. That Panthers were projected to take a DT the entire time up until the combine, then a lot of people finally started projecting Scam Newton.

This.

Because of the new CBA teams are more comfortable drafting for need. Vikings with Ponder 2 years ago for example. Hopefully Geno just blows Reid and Dorsey away at the combine. I am getting more nervous though as the draft comes closer that we may not go Geno at 1.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Tyler Wilson has bigger hands than expected. That was one of his biggest knocks.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 pm

This shoots Wilson back to the unanimous #2 QB in this draft imo
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Yeah I still think Geno and Tyler are the top two.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 pm

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL 32 Thursday that he believes Nick Foles could be acquired for a third-round pick. Foles-to-Kansas City is the obvious connection because Andy Reid drafted Foles and the Chiefs need a quarterback. (Desperately.) "I do believe there is some substance to the desire to talk to the Eagles about Nick Foles," said Mort. "I think it'd take probably a third-rounder to get Foles. So I wouldn't close the door on that." In an ideal world, the Chiefs could acquire Foles for a third-rounder, re-sign Dwayne Bowe, and perhaps draft Luke Joeckel at No. 1 overall.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Pioli said he wouldn't take Geno in the top 20, and that he would take Joekel first.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 12:46 pm

USA Today reports that the Eagles and Chiefs indeed discussed a trade that would send Nick Foles to Kansas City this week. A source tells USA Today's Mike Garafolo that "no progress has been made," but that obviously is subject to change. The Eagles are reportedly "conveying" to the Chiefs that they plan to keep Foles, likely in order to maintain leverage in future trade negotiations. It's believed Philadelphia would accept a second-day draft pick for Foles. He was the 88th overall pick last April.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

2nd day is 2nd or 3rd round right? MAYBE our extra thrird.. But I'd prefer 4th.
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 pm

They are also saying they want Foles to compete with Vick for the starting job.
Back to top Go down
redross006
Amateur
Amateur
redross006

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm hearing a 3rd for Foles... I'd prefer Alex Smith for a 4th or 5th.( which is what I'm hearing the 9er's are asking) Makes more sense. Smith is proven... he took 9er's to NFC title game prior to last season and was winnig this year till benched because of injury. Foles has 1/2 a season starting and his record was nothing to be optimistic about. Success and winning for a 4th or 5th... or a guy who only has a few games as a starter under his belt(mostly losses) for a 3rd rounder. Seems like a no brainer. Trade for Smith and draft best QB available w/ 2nd round pick. Or trade down in the 1st, take Geno, and aquire additional picks. But PLEASE DON'T DRAFT Geno Smith 1st overall. He is not much better than whomever can be had in the 2nd rd. It would be a waste of the 1st pick overall to draft ANY QB this year.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

I honestly dont think the Eagles trade Foles. Guy was a 3rd round pick LAST YEAR. He showed some good stuff. How many 3rd round picks do you hear about getting traded a year after theyre drafted? None. Especially with Vicks situation, I think they keep him unless we offer something outrageous.

I also wouldnt touch Alex Smith with a 10 foot pole. He's a game manager plain and simple. His 2011 season was basically Cassels 2010 season. At the same time this would be a total Chiefs move and I wont be shocked if it happened. Its more likely than Foles if you ask me.

I want Geno. I think theres a good chance he's the pick. He's got the potential to be great. Another option im really not opposed to though is if KC is absolutely positive that Geno will fall into the mid-late first, taking Joeckel or possibly Star at 1, then trading back into round 1 if need be or even possibly just waiting til the 2nd round to get either Geno or Wilson.

Problem is I truly dont see either Geno or Wilson being there round 2 so we'd have to trade up.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Something I dont understand though is how people say Andy Reid will get the best out of any QB..yet they'd rather pick up a Nick Foles or Alex Smith than a higher potential guy like Geno Smith. If you seriously watched Geno at WV last year, you saw a kid who had some flashes of a franchise QB. He made throws that hardly any other QB in this draft could make.

If Reid can get the most out of all 3 guys, Geno would be the best guy hands down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey: No definite first round QB   Dorsey: No definite first round QB Empty

Back to top Go down

Dorsey: No definite first round QB
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next