ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left45%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left12%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left3%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left9%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left3%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left6%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left12%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_left9%Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Empty
PostSubject: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 pm

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ted-in-KC.html

Chiefs DL Glenn Dorsey is a square peg in a round hole.

The Carl Peterson/Herm Edwards regime drafted him to become a defensive tackle in their 4-3, Tampa Two scheme.

After Dorsey’s rookie year, however, Scott Pioli and Todd Haley took over and implemented a 3-4 defense, forcing Dorsey to move to defensive end.

This position does not fit Dorsey’s skills and helps explain why he has not fulfilled the expectations of the 2008 NFL Draft’s fifth overall pick.

He has just four sacks in three seasons.

Dorsey is a quick, penetrating player. In the mold of a Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp, he would’ve perfectly fit Edwards’ scheme as a three-technique tackle, who lines up on the outside shoulder of the guard and explodes through the line of scrimmage.

As a 3-4 defensive end, however, Dorsey must contain the outside gap and help in run support. This requires a player with a different body proportion than Dorsey.

For a prototype, think Steelers DE Aaron Smith. He is 6-5 and 298 pounds with long arms, which allow him to take on offensive tackles. In contrast the compactly built Dorsey is listed at 6-1, 297 — and that 6-1 is a very generous measurement.

One could argue that Dorsey did not play well during his one year — his rookie season — as a 4-3 defensive tackle. Dorsey had just 46 tackles and one sack despite starting 16 games.

Several things, though, accounted for that mediocre 2008 performance. He was really overweight. Dorsey was one reason that Haley forced the team to spend the 2009 offseason shedding pounds. A knee injury suffered during August of 2008 may have further impeded Dorsey’s progress.

And, of course, the transition from college player to NFL rookie is difficult for anyone even a decorated, four-year player from LSU.

Dissenters also would point out that Dorsey had his best season during 2010. Participating in 86 percent of the team’s defensive snaps, he made 69 tackles. He, though, had just two sacks and rarely delivered a game-changing play.

Although the 3-4 does not suit Dorsey, it was part of the Chiefs’ two-year transformation from a 2-14 to 10-6 team.

That defense also revitalized the career of Tamba Hali, a 2006 first round pick. Clearly more comfortable as a 3-4 outside linebacker instead of a 4-3 defensive end, he has 23 sacks during his two years in the new D.

When the lockout ends, the Chiefs should keep their Hali-friendly 3-4 but find a trading partner for Dorsey.

The Falcons, Seahawks, Rams and Titans are 4-3 teams that need interior DL help. They would be wise to send draft picks Kansas City’s way for a player many teams slotted as the best defensive player in the 2008 draft.

Three other teams would provide great landing spots for Dorsey. During the Tony Dungy-Jim Caldwell era, the Colts have not had an explosive defensive tackle to complement their speedy edge rushers. The Vikings need to rejuvenate their aging Williams Wall along the D-line. Since Harris’ bad knees curtailed his career, the Bears have yet to adequately replace him.

What do these three teams have in common?

They all employ the Tampa Two, which would return Dorsey to the scheme in which Edwards and others originally envisioned him.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 10:09 pm

While I agree he isn't a 3-4 DE, and could be a Pro Bowler in the Tampa Two... we can't get rid of him. He is so good that he can make up for the size difference and still stuff the run. Teams run all over us when he isn't in the game.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:40 am

He is the best D lineman we have, and you cant trade that unless your looking at a complete rebuild(see Jarred Allen Trade). He is just now coming into his prime and dont see why he cant be a major factor as a 3-4 DE end.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Another thing about Dorsey that you guys fail to realize, height is over rated. Arm Length is what is important. Dorsey has a wingspan of a guy that is 6'5. He is probally the biggest reason why Hali is doing what he is doing. Dorsey plays the run so well that Hali can focus only on rushing the passer. Do i want to trade the guy? Hell no!
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm

I completely agree there is no way we should get rid of him. But there is no denying he would be better as a 3-tech in the Tampa Two.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 2:23 am

RustShack wrote:
I completely agree there is no way we should get rid of him. But there is no denying he would be better as a 3-tech in the Tampa Two.

I agree. He would probally be a 5 to 6 sack a season DT in the Tampa 2. He definately isn't a N. Sue but then again most players are not like Sue as vets, not alone 1st year players. I'm not a big sack man with my DTs anyway, as long as they can dominate the point and let everybody else do their job is all i really care about. I think if Powe comes in and makes us a good NT who can play on the other side of the line, then Jackson and Dorsey both could be the big benefactors. If Powe can command the double then that should free Dorsey up to be one on one in some packages. If Dorsey can get one on one, then he should have similar results as he would if he was in the 4-3. I read Powe was a better fit as a 2 gapper over Taylor before the draft. If he plays anything comparable to Taylor, Pioli will have pulled off the Tom Brady Pick yet again. Powe could very well be the steal of this draft. I remember them morons on the draft talking about the Brady pick and snubbing thier nose at the choice of Powe. I hope he comes out and changes thier minds, it probally wont be as a rookie but i think he has one hell of a good chance to be a really good pro.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 am

If Powe can command double teams consistently his rookie year hes doing his job. Thats now where it ends though, he will need to be able to collapse the pocket and stuff the run within a few years if he wants to be great... but that might be too much to expect from a rookie. Crennel is the man for the job though. Like most of our draft class, Powe has the size and talent to be among the elites at his position if he dedicates himself.
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 2:28 pm

The talents of Dorsey and Hali are complimentary of each other. Hali is the pass rushing extraordinaire while Dorsey is the run stuffer. Losing either one of those players makes the other less potent. Eric Berry played every defensive snap last year and Dorsey was not far behind. He's currently irreplaceable. I don't think he's ill-suited for the 3-4 by any means.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted   Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted Empty

Back to top Go down

Dorsey's Talents Being Wasted
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ARROWHEAD DRIVE :: The Lounge-
Jump to: