ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left45%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left12%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left3%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left9%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left3%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left6%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left12%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_left9%Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Baldwin’s focus is on getting better

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Empty
PostSubject: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:24 pm

By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | The pressure already was weighing on Jonathan Baldwin. He was feeling it.

Baldwin, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound wide receiver from the University of Pittsburgh, signed his contract eight days ago, joining his new teammates and facing the expectations that no rookie — especially an early draft pick — can avoid.

Earlier this week, Baldwin said he was ready for this challenge.

“Every day they pick out a few rookies who have to sing,” Baldwin said. “So I think today is my day.

“I’ve got a couple of hours to figure out what I’m going to sing.”

It was the first test for Baldwin, whose career will come with expectations and questions, particularly after he called out his former college quarterback and criticized his coaches. Baldwin said he was prepared for whatever lay ahead, whether that’s singing in a hazing ritual at a team meeting or playing his first NFL game as the Chiefs’ likely No. 2 receiver.

“Only thing I can do, only thing I can control now is how hard I work,” he said. “I really can’t say anything about what everybody else says. I’m just going to continue to do the things that I’ve been doing.”

Coach Todd Haley said his newest project — he was a receivers coach before becoming a coordinator and head coach, and he still takes an interest in wideouts — appears to have the tools necessary to be a standout NFL player. Baldwin is big and fast, and Haley said there’s more to Baldwin than the speed limit often associated with being a possession receiver.

“The indicators are good,” Haley said. “Speed is not an issue. I think it’s easy to just say he’s a big possession guy. Until we get going and pads are on and these guys get their legs under them, I don’t know that we’ll see really all that’s there.”

Haley said he caught a glimpse of Baldwin’s focus on Tuesday, the team’s day off. Haley was headed toward the Chiefs’ offices at the Griffon Indoor Sports Complex at Missouri Western, and there was Baldwin, hoofing back to the team’s dormitory, on the hottest day of the year.

When Baldwin could’ve stayed in the air conditioning, ignoring coaches’ suggestions that players take care of their bodies, he spent time proving that he not only can catch and run. He can follow his coaches’ instructions, too.

“Good signs that a guy is focused in the right place, and he wants to succeed,” Haley said. “I’m getting late-night texts from him, and those are all good signs.

“I felt good when I saw a guy not worrying about much else other than doing the things that we’re asking him to do.”

Baldwin spent Friday in the team’s conditioning area after appearing to suffer a leg injury a day earlier. Haley has said he plans to take a cautious approach with all injuries.

Baldwin caught 127 passes for 2,325 yards in three seasons at Pittsburgh. He raised concerns before the NFL combine, being quoted by a website that he thought his coaches were “purposely trying to disrupt my draft stock.”

He showed no such signs of outspokenness this week, when he was short and direct with his answers. He wouldn’t even reveal who his NFL idols are, saying he preferred to avoid answering that question.

Whatever baggage he might have picked up in Pittsburgh, Baldwin connected enough with the Chiefs that they were willing to draft him. Not only that, Baldwin has connected with Kansas City’s fans, too. His Twitter page has more than 8,000 followers, and he occasionally tweets about the Chiefs and his expectations.

He did share one goal:

“Win the Super Bowl,” he said. “Same goal as everybody else.”

Not long after that, Baldwin headed toward the locker room, where he said he would decide on a song to serenade his teammates with that afternoon.

“I’m going to get it going in the locker room in a little bit,” he said, turning the conversation briefly back to football. “I try to do everything. I don’t want to do just one thing. I just try to work hard at everything.

“You’ve got to do all the little things, extra, working extra, just doing all the things that you can to make yourself different.”
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:24 pm

I don't know how anyone can think this guy isn't going to be good.
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:59 pm

The key word being THINK. I do think it but dont know it. That is why the term bust exists. they wouldnt be busts if nobody thought they werent going to be good. Shuler, Mirer, Leaf, Rogers, and so on.
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 9:58 pm

At least we all know Luck is a can't miss!
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 pm

FatThucker wrote:
At least we all know Luck is a can't miss!

So is Aaron Curry.
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 pm

and taylor mays
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Luck could miss and still be better than what we have now
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 2:04 am

Chiefs09 wrote:
Luck could miss and still be better than what we have now

I'd have to disagree. QB has the highest best rate.
Back to top Go down
Chiefs09
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 pm

ours ranks with fitzpatrick and kitna... I guess if you think those guys are great then Cassel is too
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:34 am

Because we all know rankings are an exact science
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better   Baldwin’s focus is on getting better Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1