ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Safe Pick Bar_left45%Safe Pick Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Safe Pick Bar_left12%Safe Pick Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Safe Pick Bar_left3%Safe Pick Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Safe Pick Bar_left9%Safe Pick Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Safe Pick Bar_left3%Safe Pick Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Safe Pick Bar_left6%Safe Pick Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Safe Pick Bar_left12%Safe Pick Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Safe Pick Bar_left9%Safe Pick Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Safe Pick EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Safe Pick EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Safe Pick EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Safe Pick EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Safe Pick EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Safe Pick

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 am

Alabama linebacker McClain could be a surprise first-round pick for Chiefs
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

For all these months, it was going to be an offensive tackle. Or a safety. Maybe even another defensive lineman. The Chiefs have needs, and they have the fifth overall pick in the NFL draft, which begins Thursday. They have options, but at least the drama seemed limited to a handful of positions.

But it’s possible that another surprise could be ahead, same as when the Chiefs drafted defensive end Tyson Jackson last year with the third overall pick.

“Don’t be shocked if it’s Rolando McClain,” said Chris Landry, an NFL consultant and former scout. “It’s a safe pick.”

Reliability is among the most attractive features for a team that can afford no more draft-day busts. McClain was an All-America inside linebacker at Alabama last year. He’s 6 feet 3 and 254 pounds. He won a national championship. He excelled in the Crimson Tide’s 3-4 defense, calling the defensive signals since he was a true freshman. And he won the Butkus Award last season, the first Alabama player to be chosen the nation’s best linebacker since Derrick Thomas, the Hall of Famer and former Chiefs star.

“This is something I’m used to,” McClain said at the NFL combine. “I’m used to being the leader.”

Those are factors powerful enough to make any team notice — particularly a franchise that needs a consistent inside linebacker. The Chiefs’ top inside defenders are Derrick Johnson and Corey Mays, who became the starter last year after Zach Thomas was injured and then released. Mays signed his restricted free agent tender Tuesday, meaning he at least figures into the Chiefs’ immediate plans.

But it’s not as if the Chiefs don’t need help at the position. Most draft experts predict McClain will be selected in the top half of the first round but not in the top five. Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli proved last year he doesn’t conform to conventional thinking, passing over several higher-rated prospects in favor of taking Jackson at No. 3.

The Chiefs reportedly held a workout and had a dinner meeting with McClain earlier this month.

If the idea of another Derrick Thomas is tantalizing, some have suspected that McClain carries similar off-the-field baggage as what Thomas brought when the Chiefs drafted him fourth overall in 1989. McClain was involved in a fight during his sophomore year at Alabama, and he suffered burns and scrapes in 2008 when he lost control of his motorcycle and crashed it into the back of a former teammate’s SUV. McClain was wearing a helmet but still spent several nights in a Tuscaloosa hospital.

The incidents — and whispers of other missteps — are enough to stir questions, but those who’ve known McClain longest said it’s not a measure of who McClain is now.

“He was Rolando. He knew he was gifted. You know how those kind of people can be at times,” said Brian Quarles, who helped coach linebackers at Decatur (Ala.) High when McClain was there. “He kind of had that mentality at times, but I wouldn’t say he did all the time.

“He’s kind of like every other person in the world. We have those moments where we do stupid things. … It’s just a misjudgment at those points in times, but I think he’s matured.”

Thomas was able to become a dominant linebacker in spite of occasionally questionable judgment, and some think McClain is the kind of talent whose play will overshadow all else. Those who know him tout his intelligence and NFL readiness.

But questions remain. The Chiefs drafted Jackson last year in part because Jackson possessed a spotless background. They’d never have to worry about him. If all else makes sense about the Chiefs considering McClain, his past is the only factor that might make him an imperfect fit.

That and the notion that Pioli might not select an inside linebacker with the fifth pick — a realm of the draft normally reserved for quarterbacks, linemen and receivers.

“I would doubt he would expend a fifth pick in the draft on an inside linebacker,” NFL.com analyst Mike Mayock said. “Even though you’re talking about the same philosophical question, you’re talking about two different positions of value. Left tackle is a much higher position of value than an inside linebacker in a 3-4.”

Still, the question is there. The drama remains. If it’s up to McClain, he said he’s made his points and is waiting to see which team grabs him.

“A lot of guys saw the way I worked (at Alabama), and they admired the way I worked,” he said. “It was tough sometimes, but they admired me. They actually listened.

“I’m a leader. I had to lead seniors as a freshman. My biggest thing is wanting to win. So if I have to be a leader in order for us to win, that’s what I’ll do, no matter the circumstance.”
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 am

I've been saying it for awhile, if they draft defense it will be him.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 am

Plus he will probably have a better career than Berry, and we can get another productive safety in the second.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 am

I think Pioli would rather draft McClain over Berry too. McClain is a huge need for us.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Damn I can't wait for tommorrow lol. I am tired of all the speculation. I want to know how we start this draft. With roar or a whimper. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
noturnormalhero
Amateur
Amateur

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I'd be cool with getting him at # 5. McClain , Golden Tate, Cody/cam Thomas for Round 1-2. Sign me up!
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Honestly, I'd rather go with Spikes in the 3rd round..I think he's got some great potential also..his combine and pro day killed him and he's gonna be a steal wherever he goes..
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 pm

I wont be pissed at all if we go McClain..I'd just rather see us go with Clausen in the 1st, then Nate Allen and Spikes in round 2 if possible..
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah that would be best case.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 pm

I think that if we go Berry at 5 we should go with a WR with one of our second rounders and NT with the other. Spikes will be there in the third.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Thats pretty much what I'm looking at too. Maybe an OLB instead of a NT.. just depends on whos there.
Back to top Go down
chiefbravebull
All-Pro
All-Pro
chiefbravebull

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah if Hughes is there you gotta go with him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Safe Pick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe Pick   Safe Pick Empty

Back to top Go down

Safe Pick
Page 1 of 1