ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left45%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left12%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left3%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left9%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left3%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left6%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left12%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_left9%2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Empty
PostSubject: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Most fans of the Red and Gold here at Arrowhead Pride love to make comparisons (mainly to make a point.)

Dwayne Bowe to Larry Fitzgerald.

Matt Cassel to Mark Sanchez.

Clark Hunt to Lamar Hunt.

Apples to Oranges... you get the idea.

Well AP? What about this comparison, the 2003 Chiefs to the 2011 Chiefs?

Uh Blinders, it has been done to death, why even bring it up? Well, I'll tell you why. Ever since the Chiefs opened up The New Arrowhead in 2010, I have had hopes that the Arrowhead advantage would make a come back. In 2010 the Kansas City Chiefs did a good job of making that happen, winning 7 out of 8 home games for the first time in five seasons.

Though, in doing some research on this subject, I noticed that in 2002, the Kansas City Chiefs also won 7 home games that season. Which got me thinking, who would I take? Dick Vermeil's team going into 2003 knowing everything we know about that team now, or Todd Haley's 2011 team going into this season not fully sure of what it is capable of?

The 2002 team got me thinking more about what happened after their seven wins at Arrowhead. That's right in 2003, the Chiefs went 13-3 and undefeated at home, a perfect 8-0 record. It was a great season to be a Chiefs fan, they started out 9-0 and had a very exciting offense staring Priest Holmes.

Dick Vermeil started out in Kansas with 14 wins (6-10,8-8) in two seasons, after a storied career.

Todd Haley matched that total with 14 wins (4-12, 10-6) in two seasons as Rookie coach, and even added a playoff appearance to the tally.

That makes me believe it is safe to compare their respective third seasons. Do you think that Haley can duplicate and surpass Vermeil's success in his own third season in Kansas City? Which team is more balanced? Let's take a look:

OFFENSE
Green
QB
vS
Cassel
QB

Richardson
FB
VS
McCluster
W/R

Holmes
RB
VS
Charles
RB

Kennison
WR
VS
Bowe
WR

Morton
WR
VS
Baldwin
WR

Roaf
LT
VS
Albert
LT

Waters
LG
VS
Waters
LG

Wiegmann
C
VS
Hudson
C

Shields
RG
VS
Lilja
RG

Tait
RT
VS
Richardson
RT

Gonzalez
TE
VS
Moeaki
TE

DEFENSE

Hicks
LDE
VS
Jackson
LDE

Browning
LDT
VS
Powe
NT

Sims
RDT
VS
Dorsey
RDE

Holliday
RDE
VS
Houston

LOLB
Fujita
LLB
VS
Belcher

LILB
Maslowski
MLB
VS
Johnson

RILB
Mitchell
MLB
VS
Hali
ROLB

Barber
RLB
VS
Flowers
LCB

Warfield
LCB
VS
Carr
RCB

McCleon
RCB
VS
Berry
SS

Wesley
SS
VS
Lewis
FS

Woods
FS
VS
Arenas
NCB

SPECIAL T.
Anderson
K
VS
Succop

Baker
P
VS
Colquitt
P

Hall
PR
VS
Arenas
PR

Hall
KR
VS
McCluster
KR

Role Players
WR Boerigter
TE Dunn
DE Stills
OL Spears
LS Gammon
DB Bartee
DE Truluck
DB Harts

DE Bailey
CB Brown
LB Studebaker
DE Gilberry
OL Asomoah
OL Wiegmann
RB Jones
DE Smith

Chiefs Fans, doesn't looking at the offensive line of that 2003 team make you want to smile. Willie Roaf should really be in the Hall of Fame, but I digress...

Can the Chiefs go undefeated at home in 2011, like the 2003 team? They only have to play these teams:

Buffalo Bills

Minnesota Vikings

San Diego Chargers

Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos

Pittsburgh Steelers

Green Bay Packers

Oakland Raiders

Sure they have to play the two Super Bowl teams. However it can be done, in 2003 the Chiefs beat the Raiders twice coming off of their Super Bowl Appearance. Also, just as an interesting tidbit, they did beat Pittsburgh and Green Bay that season as well.

If the Arrowhead advantage is truly back, then the Chiefs should be able to run the table at home in 2011, or at least come very close. They have the talent, the balance on offense, defense and special teams. The number one rushing attack in the NFL and the greatest fans in the world. It might be the recipe they need for the kind of success that Vermeil's team enjoyed.

Who has the better offense?

Well this seems to be a no-brainer. The 2003 Chiefs were ranked number one or two, in eight different offensive categories that season. Plus, they had Roaf, Shields and Gonzalez, three guys that should all be enshrined in Canton someday. It would be safe to say that the 2003 Chiefs Offense was better than the 2011 Chiefs Offense will be.

However, safe is boring. The 2011 Chiefs are coming into it the number one rushing team with 2,627 yards (2003 had 1,929 yards.) The problem is passing, the Chiefs threw for 2,968 yards (2003 had 3,981 yards.) Even if Kansas City manages more yards passing the ball with all of the weapons they have, including Jonathan Baldwin and a healthier Dexter McCluster. Are they going to be able to turn 44 TDS into 56 TDS (like 2003) off those two factors? Hey, not every team can score 484 points in a season, but a fan can dream right?

What about on defense?
The no-brainers are abundant today. The 2003 team was known for having poor tackling, and being +19 in turnovers. They gave up more rush yards per carry than any team in the NFL (Thanks a lot Ryan Sims.) Despite the 13-3 record, this defense was terrible.

Going into the 2011 season, it seems a lot better. Eric Berry, Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers are potential super stars in the making. While Derrick Johnson, Glenn Dorsey and Brandon Carr could all be Pro Bowl caliber players this season. It is no contest, the talent is better, the depth is deeper, and the coaching staff on defense is in another world compared to in 2003.

Which team would you want to go into the future with?
This question is a fun one to answer. The 2003 Chiefs had a lot of talent on that Offensive Line, it was one of the best ever, with a Hall of Fame Tight End as an added bonus.

However, at the the time it was clear that Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil were building for the moment and not the future. A lot of the players were at the end of their prime, and Carl didn't do a very good job of preparing for the future through the draft.

Scott Pioli and Todd Haley on the other hand, have appeared to put together a very youthful team. They are full of talent, and seem set up to make a run at a string of championships. Instead of the one championship that Dick and Carl were trying to take with them into the sunset.

Who is more balanced?
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:36 pm

This is kind of fun. I was a monster Vermiel Homer! The only clear cut players off the 03 team vs the 2011 that was clearly better are Roaf, Shields, Gonzalez, Eric Hicks, Dante Hall, John Tait, Trent Green, SP Stills.

2011 Defense beat the shit out out of the 03 Defense.
2003 Offense was better but not by a far margin for me.

Overall I would take the 2011 team going into the future in a hearbeat because it is young, talented, balanced and built for the long Haul which is something Carl never did.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I would take the 2011 team, but its real close. You can win any game with an offense that good. But the 2011 team is a lot more balanced, and we have all the pieces to have a top 5 defense. If Cassel doesn't turn the ball over, Charles still produces, and Baldwin steps up to at least be a second big time receiving threat then the 2011 team could easily be better. And I am assuming our defense is better than it was last year because it is a very young D and there really isn't any reason they would take a step back.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 am

Agreed! That 2003 Offense was truly special! I do agree that the pieces are in place on both sides of the ball now to do great things. The question at this point is, Can Haley coach them up in the same manner Vermiel did? I got to say that i like what i see of Haley so far! Of course if Vermiel would have had Pioli to draft for him, Vermiel would have easily won a SB here. I look at those comparisons and it is truly amazing to see how much more quality the 2011 team had in the LBs and DBs.

Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:21 am

I didn't give a flying fuck about the NFL before I started playing fantasy football just a few years ago, so I really have no idea what kind of team the Chiefs had put together. But this 2011 team is only gonna get better (and the 2003 team apparently blew donkey balls in the playoffs then proceded to get worse every year after) so I would have to take the Chiefs where they are today.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:38 pm

On offense I'd do the comparisons a little different though.

Cassel-Green, Green did great.. but even as a Chief fan I have to say it was just because he had a HOF OL, TE, and Pro Bowl running game.

Bowe-Gonzalez, Gonzalez was obviously a better TE than he is WR, but as a receiving threat their production is about the same while Bowe is just going to continue getting better.

Baldwin-Kennison, Baldwin is potentially a far better WR

Moeaki-Morton, both are sure handed. Morton has the edge here, but Moeaki is also sure handed and hopefully becomes more productive in the receiving game this year.

McCluster-Hall, McCluster should be more productive in the offense, but thats not a guarantee

Charles-Holmes, Holmes was great and I love the dude, but I'll take Charles.

OL-OL, yeah 2003 bar none.

Rich-2011 FB, T'Rich.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 am

RustShack wrote:
On offense I'd do the comparisons a little different though.

Cassel-Green, Green did great.. but even as a Chief fan I have to say it was just because he had a HOF OL, TE, and Pro Bowl running game.

Bowe-Gonzalez, Gonzalez was obviously a better TE than he is WR, but as a receiving threat their production is about the same while Bowe is just going to continue getting better.

Baldwin-Kennison, Baldwin is potentially a far better WR

Moeaki-Morton, both are sure handed. Morton has the edge here, but Moeaki is also sure handed and hopefully becomes more productive in the receiving game this year.

McCluster-Hall, McCluster should be more productive in the offense, but thats not a guarantee

Charles-Holmes, Holmes was great and I love the dude, but I'll take Charles.

OL-OL, yeah 2003 bar none.

Rich-2011 FB, T'Rich.

Trent was my boy man! I was a huge fan. I have a friend with connections and she sent 2 Green Jerseys to her friend who is one of the Chiefs Marketing/Public Relation people. When Trent came to camp she tracked him down and he signed them for us. One was given to my dad and i have the other. At this point and time, My opinion is that Trent was a better QB in 2003 than Cassell was in 2010. We will have better protection this year and more balance on Offense with Baldwin and Moeki/McCluster coming into thier 2nd years. I see Cassell becoming what Green was this year.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Don't get me wrong I loved Green as a Chief. But he wasn't any good anywhere else... And he seemed notorious for taking a sack at the end of the game when the pressure was on and we needed to score to win. Granted we had already scored more than enough that game, the D just couldn't help the offense at all. But he wasn't any good when the pressure was really on.
Back to top Go down
OutlawChief
All-Pro
All-Pro
OutlawChief

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:44 pm

I have to agree with both on some pionts. I loved Green as well but couldn't finish a game well. But was still better than Cassel to this piont. But I have high hopes for Cassel and can see him passing Green easy this year. And to decide between Holmes and Charles is crazy. Charles is more explosive. But no one(Except Maybe Marcus Allen) could find the endzone like Priest.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 am

RustShack wrote:
Don't get me wrong I loved Green as a Chief. But he wasn't any good anywhere else... And he seemed notorious for taking a sack at the end of the game when the pressure was on and we needed to score to win. Granted we had already scored more than enough that game, the D just couldn't help the offense at all. But he wasn't any good when the pressure was really on.

I disagree there. I found a good article about Trent.

The beginning

Ironically, a San Diego representative tried to end Green’s career twice. The Chargers drafted Green in the eighth round which no longer exists in 1993. He sat for one season as the Chargers’ third-team quarterback and was subsequently released after the season.

“When I was first cut in San Diego, that is the first time somebody had told me that I was not good enough to play at any level,” Green said. “Being cut for the first time and saying, Hey, you can’t get it done,’ that hurts, and that took a long time to get over.”

He signed with the Canadian Football League’s British Columbia Lions in 1994. Green dressed for just two games before he was released again.

Another shot, perhaps his last shot, remained. He knew if it didn’t work out, maybe a career shift was in order. He always liked the thought of coaching, anyway.

He met with Washington coach Norv Turner in early 1995. After setting just about every passing record imaginable at the Indiana University, Green just wanted a chance to show what he could do.

After all, he did it before.

“There was a little indoor soccer field that was near the Redskins practice facility, because they didn’t have an indoor facility,” Green said. “We went over to this barn in the middle of February, had a little workout there and right then and there, they offered me a contract.”

Turner was Dallas’ offensive coordinator and helped the Cowboys win the Super Bowl in 1992 and 1993. He liked Green and planned to draft him, but San Diego selected him first.

“When I went to Washington,” Turner said, “we were looking for a young guy to come in and give him a chance. Trent came in and I’ll tell you this: for that period of time until he got the chance to play, he was the hardest-working guy on our team.”

Unfortunately for Green, he was stuck behind two younger quarterbacks Heath Shuler and Gus Frerotte, and both had more experience. Shuler was the franchise’s top draft pick in 1994 and his development was the Redskins’ top priority.

Green didn’t play for even one snap during his first two seasons in Washington. In 1997, he attempted one incomplete pass in the season finale.

But everything changed in 1998. By then, Shuler was out of the league and Turner’s faith in Frerotte who’s known primarily for injuring his neck by head-butting a wall after scoring a touchdown in 1997 waned. Green’s preseason passes were sharp and accurate. Other coaches watched him in scrimmages and the preseason and wondered who he was and where did he come from.

“I remembered when we scrimmaged Pittsburgh and Bill Cowher said, Who’s that No. 10? He’s awfully good-looking,’” Turner remembered. “I said, He might be our best guy; we just need to play him.’ That was the year we ended up playing him, and he did awfully well for us.”

By the second game of 1998, Turner inserted Green, and the quarterback became a bonafide NFL starter. He completed 54 percent of his passes for 3,441 yards and 23 touchdowns. He suddenly was a hit on the Beltway.

But stalwart Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke died shortly before Green’s success, and the team was up for sale. Prospective owners failed to assure Green that Turner or Redskins general manager Charley Casserly would stay in their positions, and Green shopped around.

“There was no direction, and it was very frustrating for me because with my ties with Norv. I really wanted to stay,” Green said. “I enjoyed my four years there, and I enjoyed playing for him.”

Contributing to the situation was the departure of Green’s quarterback coach, Mike Martz, who had just accepted the offensive coordinator position with the St. Louis Rams.

“We could never really get anything in concrete before free agency started, and then with Mike going to St. Louis, and it just all kind of unfolded that way,” Green said.

The hit

The St. Louis Rams signed Green in a last-ditch effort to save then-coach Dick Vermeil’s career, as well as shed the label as the NFL’s worst team of the 1990s. The Rams moved from Los Angeles after the 1994 season and entered the 1999 season tied with Cincinnati for the worst record in the decade. After two seasons, Vermeil’s approach seemed to wear thin with players.

Green seemed a natural fit in St. Louis. As a product of nearby Kirkwood, Mo., Green brought consistency to an offense that was just starting to take off.

Before the draft, the Rams traded for underachieving, yet talented, running back Marshall Faulk to couple with top-notch receiver Isaac Bruce. They drafted future Pro Bowl receiver Torry Holt. The result was mesmerizing that preseason.

Green completed almost 88 percent of his passes for 406 yards and posted an extraordinary passing rating of 126.8. But after suffering his massive knee injury, Green’s life changed forever.

He anguished through four surgeries to repair the knee. He watched his backup, former stock boy Kurt Warner, become possibly the greatest success story in NFL history. Warner’s path paralleled Green’s in many ways: Warner moved from Division I-AA football to Arena Football to grocery stores to NFL Europe to career backup to chance starter.

Warner completed 65 percent of his passes for 4,353 yards and 41 touchdowns that season to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl title. He was named the NFL’s Most Valuable Player and his story captivated the nation.

Green, conversely, watched the scene in disbelief. He could have led the Rams to the same success. His first real shot was over before it started.

Some compared his situation to 1920s New York Yankees first baseman Wally Pipp sitting out a game, which allowed Lou Gehrig a shot to play. Gehrig then played in 2,130 consecutive games.

“To tell you the truth, that was a lot of motivation to get back and to play,” Green said. “After hearing the Wally Pipp story 100 times, I didn’t want that to be my final story.

“I didn’t want to be that Sports Illustrated Where Are They Now’ kind of thing.”

Green went through excruciating rehabilitation just to walk again. He reflected on his career. He thought about Coach Vermeil, his wife, Julie, and others who helped him reach his status as NFL quarterback. It was hard. But he accepted it.

“As much as I’d like to sit here and say how bad it was and how negative it was,” he says, “I probably took more positive out of it than anything, and it’s probably made me a better person and player.

“Don’t get me wrong I wish it never happened.”

Moving on

Green played in eight games and started five for the Rams in 2000. Warner suffered a broken hand in a 54-34 loss to Kansas City that season, and Green capably handled the offense. He completed more than 60 percent of his passes for 2,063 yards and 16 touchdowns. More importantly for himself, he just got back out on the field.

“It was very rewarding for me my first start with the Rams in 2000 against the 49ers,” he said. “Because of all that hard work and everything I’d gone through, in terms of the surgeries and the rehab that paid off.”

However, with Warner still the media darling in St. Louis and one year removed from the MVP, Green understood his chance wouldn’t come in St. Louis. Rams officials knew it, too, and started shopping him around.

The Miami Dolphins were one of the first teams to pass on Green. Despite a below-average passing attack, then-coach Dave Wannstedt chose to stick with starter Jay Fielder.

“We could go out in that parking lot and have Jay Fiedler and Trent Green throw side by side, and you couldn’t tell the difference,” Wannstedt said at the time.

But Vermeil, who retired after the Super Bowl, re-entered coaching, this time with the Kansas City Chiefs. In an odd shake-up, Pro Bowl quarterback Elvis Grbac, who threw for more than 4,000 yards in the 2000 season, opted for free agency and left Kansas City.

The Chiefs looked for a quarterback, and Vermeil and Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders (who was the associated head coach in St. Louis) wanted to install a similar scheme to the Rams’ the match was perfect.

Green left St. Louis for Kansas City, but at a stiff price. The Chiefs traded their No. 1 pick to St. Louis for Green and a fifth-rounder.

Chiefs President Carl Peterson wore a Chiefs tie as he walked into the press conference announcing Green’s arrival. He heaved added expectations upon Green that first day.

“It’s right up there with the Joe Montana trade,” Peterson quipped.

Saunders also glowed after the trade.

“I’ve been around two great quarterbacks in my career Joe Montana and Dan Fouts,” he said of the two Hall of Famers. “And I really, truly believe Trent Green has the qualities of those people. Great courage, great ability.”

Green hobbled into the press conference with his wife and smiling young son, T.J., in tow. He was six weeks removed from another knee surgery and wouldn’t be able to practice until the 2001 training camp.

“We have plenty of time,” Vermeil said at the time. “He’s got a lot of years left in his career. If it’s the middle of training camp, if it’s before training camp, if it’s the third league game, sooner or later, he will be our starting quarterback and play very well.”

Growing pains

Green’s start in Kansas City was less pomp and more pop. He struggled with an offensive attack that tried to stretch the field with receivers that didn’t fit the big-play profile. Green shouldered much of the blame and pressed, admittedly, too hard at times to make big plays.

“We were really trying to get everyone on the same page in terms of the program,” Green said. “Guys were just learning about Coach Vermeil and what he was all about, what his program was all about. Guys were trying to figure out the offense, the terminology. We were trying to figure it out from a personnel standpoint because from a personnel standpoint, it was set up to run more like a West Coach offense, and this isn’t a West Coast offense.”

Guard Brian Waters said everyone was uncomfortable with the situation.

“A lot of people were kind of skeptical because (Green) really hadn’t played that much since he’d been injured,” Waters said.

In his first start as a Chief against today’s opponent, coincidentally, the Raiders Green was erratic, completing 16 of 37 passes for 222 yards. But he connected with rookie Marvin Minnis for a 30-yard touchdown pass to tie the score late in the game. But like so many games in his tenure, the Chiefs defense failed to hold and the Raiders won on a last-second field goal, 27-24.

Green started every game that season and threw for 3,783 yards. But he was intercepted 24 times and threw only 17 touchdown passes. His efficiency rating was near the NFL’s worst at 71.1.

“He took a lot of pressure,” Waters said. “It was hard on him because he was really the only person on offense. Everybody else was learning, and he was trying to teach everybody.”

Turning it around

It all clicked.

For all the sputtering and lack of production that encapsulated the 2001 campaign, the Chiefs offense became a machine in 2002. Forty points in a season-opening win. A 41-38 overtime loss to the world champion Patriots. Three more games of more than 48 points, including a beating of Wannstedt’s Dolphins and Green’s former Rams.

Overnight, it seemed, Green led the NFL’s most potent offense.

Still, the accolades didn’t come. He finished with 3,690 yards, 26 touchdowns a 92.6 passer efficiency rating. But a Pro Bowl berth wasn’t in the offering.

Green did earn respect from his peers and former coaches, as well as those who surrounded him. He became the leader Vermeil expected, and the team rallied behind.

In 2003, the offense continued its torrid pace. Green threw for 4,039 yards and 24 touchdowns as the Chiefs zoomed to a 13-3 record. He combined with running back Priest Holmes, who set the NFL’s single-season touchdown record of 27, to produce one of the best seasons in team history.

One moment that stood out for Green and Vermeil was the naming of the Pro Bowl roster. With ESPN’s cameras in tow, Vermeil screamed and embraced Green’s name for selection to the game.

“I’m excited about all of the (Pro Bowlers), but if there’s a special air of excitement within me emotionally, it’s to see Trent Green do it,” Vermeil said. “When you go through what he has gone through and to end up being selected with the competition there is in the National Football League in the AFC for quarterback, it’s a real honor.”

This season, Green again has put up numbers comparable with the league’s best. He ranks third in the NFL in passing yards with 3,860 and has put up a career-best 66.4 completion percentage.

He’s led the Chiefs to the NFL’s highest scoring output the last three years. The team led the NFL in scoring last year at 30 points a game. This year, ranked second, the Chiefs average 31.

Green has 21 games with a passer rating higher than 100. He has 11 fourth-quarter comebacks. He’s sixth all-time in passer efficiency rating.

Yet, on Wednesday, he was named a alternate for this year’s Pro Bowl. “I have never been a real big attention-grabbing guy, trying to get to a lot of attention drawn to myself,” Green said. “I am not super-flashy or anything like that.

“I am who I am. If that draws attention, then great and that is what made it so rewarding last year to go to the Pro Bowl.”

Still unknown

Despite his numbers, Green’s still a bit of an NFL anomaly. In press conferences, he is at times aloof; other times playful. His build is average at 6-foot-3 and 217 pounds. He displays a rugged charm with a dark complexion and a slight silver hair tone. He puts people at ease with a wiry, easy smile but simultaneously almost appears distrustful.

He generally keeps to himself and his family, which consists of his wife, Julie, and two sons T.J. and Derek. He’s popular with his teammates but not really a vocal leader.

He might be the NFL’s best unknown marketing quantity.

In another market, Vermeil says, Green would reach celebrity status.

“Media has an impact on it, promotion, everything has an impact on it,” Vermeil said. “No question about it. It’s almost a secret that he’s the only quarterback in the National Football League that’s been over a 90 efficiency rating three years in a row. If he’s in Chicago, he might be doing commercials for a shaving cream because that’s what he’s done. It’s just a different part of the country. Maybe it’s better this way.”

Entering his situation in Kansas City, Green says, the biggest fear was injury. He’s alleviated those concerns with a team record 62 consecutive regular-season starts.

He’s also too young to talk about retirement. Although Green’s six months younger than Brett Favre, who’s perpetually dishing clues that retirement is close Green’s never considered retirement.

He enjoys playing too much.

”There’s two different ways to look at it. I wish I had played much sooner than I did, but I had the benefit of learning,” Green said. “I am about 140 starts behind Brett. In terms of wear and tear, his body is in much different shape.”

Turner, who coaches against Green today, said Green just needed an opportunity.

“His is a great story because it wasn’t easy,” Turner said. “He played for us and played awfully well that year and ends up going to St. Louis and gets hurt you know the story. It’s a great story.”
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Interesting that we got him after hurting him, then turn around and get Cassel who only got a shot because we hurt the dude in front of him.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:58 am

8th round pick who wasn't supposed to ever be much of anything. Norv believes in him and gives him a shot. He was stuck behind Shuler who was a 1st round pick for 2 years, thats understandable. Throws for 3440 yards and 24 TDs, 11 INts and declined a 4 year 12 million dollar contract in 1998. He decides to leave after Cook died, and not knowing if Turner would be back. Looks amazing for the Rams in the preseason completing 28 of 32 passes and gets his knee shreaded that would take 6 years to rehab. Make no mistake, had Green played instead of Warner i dont believe the result in 99 would have been any different. Thats my opinion. 2000 he gets back on the field and throws for 2000 yards and 16 TDs in 8 games including 5 starts. Vermiel trades 1st and a 5th round pick for Green and the rest is history. As far a Green late in the game. He regulary led the Offense to 30+ points and still couldn't win, thats not Greens fault. Defense was horrid and we relive the Ryan Sims and Junior Savaii drafts.

I find Greens and Warners stats interesting:
Green threw for 28,475 yards and 162 touchdowns, 114 Ints, 60.5 completion percentage in 15 seasons and had 6 stellar seasons in KC. He didn't play at all the first 4 years around the league, so he did this in 11 seasons.

Warner threw for 32,591 yards and 208 touchdowns, 128 Ints, 65 completion percentage in 11 seasons.

I dont recall Green ever having a Pro Bowl WR. So in my mind Warner and Green were very close to each other as QBs.

Last edited by BigRatt on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 am

RustShack wrote:
Interesting that we got him after hurting him, then turn around and get Cassel who only got a shot because we hurt the dude in front of him.

Huh! Chargers Rodney Harrison is the one who busted his plant leg.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 pm

BigRatt wrote:
RustShack wrote:

Didn't the article say he got hurt playing the Chiefs?
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Couldn't tell ya bud. It's a long article. Got better things to do.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:24 am

RustShack wrote:
BigRatt wrote:
RustShack wrote:

Didn't the article say he got hurt playing the Chiefs?

Nope Harrison is the one with the dirty deed. They were playing the Chargers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs    2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs  Empty

Back to top Go down

2003 Chiefs vs 2011 Chiefs
Page 1 of 1