ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
ARROWHEAD DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best source for up to the minute Chiefs news, updates, rumors, and inside information!

Home  Latest images  ArcadeArcade  Register  Log in  
Poll
Who is it?
Geno Smith
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left45%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 45% [ 15 ]
Luke Joekel
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left12%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Domontre Moore
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left3%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Jarvis Jones
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left9%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Manti Te'o
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left3%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 3% [ 1 ]
Star Lotulelei
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left6%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 6% [ 2 ]
Tyler Wilson
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left12%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 12% [ 4 ]
Other
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_left9%Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Bar_right
 9% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33
Latest topics
» Bones Stagione 7 Ita
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm by 

» Paragon Partition Manager 12 10.1.19.15721 Personal
Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 pm by 

Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm by 

Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm by 

Advertisement

Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense

Go down 
+2
FatThucker
BigRatt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Empty
PostSubject: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Third-round draft pick Justin Houston.

One of the assets that Houston brings to the Chiefs is the defensive coordinator he played for last season. Houston’s already undergone the transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker – a switch that most players don’t make until they reach the NFL level – and played a year in a pro-style defensive system.

In many ways, Houston has already played in the Chiefs defensive system.

Todd Grantham took over the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator job in 2010 and quickly switched to a pro-style 3-4 base. He’d spent the previous 11 seasons coaching defense in the NFL – much of it inside the 3-4 scheme.

Three of Grantham’s 11 professional seasons (2005-07) came in Cleveland as Romeo Crennel’s defensive coordinator. He was one of Crennel’s initial hires as the two shared a common vision about the 3-4 defense.

Grantham implemented many of those same ideas at Georgia last season.

Houston represented one of Grantham’s first projects. Any worthwhile 3-4 defense has a threat to the quarterback at outside linebacker. Grantham pegged Houston as that threat.

Operating under a 3-4 system that mirrors the basics of Kansas City’s approach, and even uses much of the same terminology, Houston delivered a career year. After producing 58 tackles with 10.0 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss during his first two seasons as a Bulldog, Houston registered 67 tackles, 10.0 sacks, and 18.5 tackles for loss in his lone season playing for Grantham.

When off-field issues forced Houston’s slide down draft boards, the background with Grantham helped his risk/reward ratio become more tolerable to the Chiefs. Grantham has relationships with a handful of Chiefs staff members outside of Crennel, including General Manager Scot Pioli.

Had Houston remained at defensive end last season, and not played for Grantham, it’s fair to say that he probably wouldn’t have ended up in Kansas City.

From an X’s and O’s perspective, Houston owns an initial leg-up on many of the other rookies around the league.

“I didn’t have a preference (in playing for a 3-4 or 4-3 NFL team),” Houston said over draft weekend. “I just wanted to get a chance to play in the NFL and I have my opportunity and I’m going to make the best of it.”

Houston will probably get to play in both systems with the Chiefs – as an outside linebacker in base sets and as a rush end in sub-packages.

The Chiefs are a game-plan team and Crennel used a number of different fronts last season tailoring defensive schemes to specific opponents. Houston looks like a prime candidate to shift to defensive end when the Chiefs go with four defensive linemen.

Houston’s background gives him a legitimate opportunity to be an early contributor in both base and sub-packages next season.

It’s up to him to capitalize on that advantage.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Thats nice to hear hes played in a similiar Defense. With the transition already done, He should be able to hit the ground running.
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:52 pm

I don't remember hearing he had played a linebacker position previously. I always heard he would have to learn to play in space. If this is true, that is great news!
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:27 am

Justin Houston may just end up being the steal of this entire draft..
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu May 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Houston, Baldwin, and Powe could all become at least top ten players at thier position. By round Powe could end up being a bigger steal even though Houston should be better. I think we had a better draft than last year for the most part. That is really saying something since last years might have been the deepest draft ever.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:41 pm

I agree. Berry is obviously the best of the last two years... but overall this years has a pretty good chance of being better for us.
Back to top Go down
http://arrowheaddrive.com
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyFri May 27, 2011 2:11 am

This draft is full of guys who will help the guys drafted in 2009 and 2010 do thier jobs even better.
Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:06 pm

They are all a very good mix of very talented players, and perfect fits... it would be pretty hard for us to top these last two drafts for awhile.
Back to top Go down
BigRatt
All-Madden
All-Madden

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 28, 2011 1:43 am

RustShack wrote:
They are all a very good mix of very talented players, and perfect fits... it would be pretty hard for us to top these last two drafts for awhile.

agreed. Alot of its luck on who falls.
Back to top Go down
FatThucker
All-Pro
All-Pro

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 28, 2011 8:45 am

Just remember that initially everyone was kinda down on the draft last year. Most people here were clamoring for Jimmy Clausen in the 1st round, irrate when he wasn't taken with our 2nd pick, no one knew who Javier Arenas was, people couldn't figure out why Pioli traded up for an injury-prone TE, etc.

I thought the Chiefs had made solids picks from the beginning of last years draft. This year I think that we were just swinging for the fences. I have no concerns about Hudson, everyone else is sink or swim though.
Back to top Go down
Touchdown Bowe
Mod Lord
Mod Lord
Touchdown Bowe

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 28, 2011 2:11 pm

At this point we can just be glad free agancy didnt happen..because if it did, im not sure we would have been able to grab the players we did. There was alot of reaching on players based on need..
Back to top Go down
SylvesterMalone1978
All-Pro
All-Pro
SylvesterMalone1978

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 28, 2011 2:30 pm

100% truth
Back to top Go down
GOHARDorGOHOME
n00b cake
n00b cake
GOHARDorGOHOME

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySat May 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Houston will be interesting to watch. It was my hope that we would get him after Kerrigan was gone. I would love to see him contribute early and open up Hali's game. Bailey ought to be a pleasant surprise for us. I would love to see Tyson shift inside and have Bailey on the end.

Hudson is a stud. He's quick, strong, and very intelligent. My major concern after this draft is pass protection. We need a legit LT. Albert ain't it and Richardson is the weak link IMO. Waters is getting older and Weigmann may be done. Hopefully we address in FA.

Obviously Baldwin has incredible physical attributes. Hopefully he will stretch the field and open up McCluster & Moeki's game.

Oh yeah please replace McGraw on D! We need a legit FS.

Back to top Go down
RustShack
Giver of Life
Giver of Life
RustShack

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense EmptySun May 29, 2011 8:52 pm

I really don't think Albert and Richardson are the weak links. Our line started out great all across, and by the end of the year Casey and Lilja were the weak links because they lost too much weight during the year. That was always a problem with Lilja and one of the reasons the Colts dropped him. He gets his weight up in the offseason and plays great to start.. but drops that weight working so hard during the season. Casey has the same problem with them being so small.

I think we can get by with one player like that, which is fine now because we have Wiegmanns replacement in Hudson.

Also I would think there would be a better chance of Bailey being slid inside than Jackson. Hopefully we don't have to worry about that.. we should resign Smith and we drafted Powe this year. This will be the year Jackson steps up at DE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense   Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense Empty

Back to top Go down

Justin Houstons Pro Style Defense
Page 1 of 1